Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellenrr_gw

design question

ellenrr
10 years ago

Hi,
I'm trying to envision how this would look - and I'm wondering what you think or if anyone has done this--
I went from 3 plots to one - and sowed as much as before. so, I've got a lot of sprouts to find places for. which is a good thing. :)

I have a couple of beds that have herbs in them, or short perenniels that are spaced apart.
Usually they would stand alone.

but due to glut of seedlings, am thinking of filling up the space between the herbs and the perenniels with my WS'ed annuals and perenniels, - which are going to be tall like blue salvia, strawflower,
would that look odd?

thanks for any feed-back.

Comments (7)

• silverkelt
    10 years ago

No, I use some herbs as grown cover.. Sage, Lemon Balm, Thyme, Mints.. not only do they give more interest then just mulch, I can use them for other stuff.

I see nothing odd of maximizing your space , especially if you are going for a cottage garden look, vs a more formal setting. If you want stuff lined up straight , then this isnt going to work for you.

Things bloom at different times alot as well, so as one thing goes another comes, there are items you can trim back some especially if they are tall perrenials.

Best of all, its your space. do with it what you like!

Silverkelt

• vera_eastern_wa
    10 years ago

I say...go for it!

Vera

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    10 years ago

I think it would add interest to the garden. How big is your plot, and what shape? Can you arrange your annuals so the tall go in the back and the shorter ones near the front?

I'm putting a lot of annuals in my so-called perennial garden because I turned most of it over last summer and didn't have enough perennials to fill it. I made an effort to sow more perennials this year, but they're still tiny so to get any kind of flowers this year I'm putting my annuals there with the intention of planting the perennials in the fall (right now they're in their ws containers set around the garden in their permanent spots just so I can visualize). One of my annuals is strawflower, too. I put that near the back because the packet said it grew to 3 feet or so. This is my first time with strawflowers.

Caryl

• northforker
    10 years ago

My philosopy is "fill it up... less room for weeds!!!!!" I jam pack my beds. While I have learned to leave a walkway (really had to work on this my first few years...) in order to get to the occastional weed and pull it, I find that my plants like to be friendly with their neighbors. I don't mulch (too many beds and too expensive) and by summer there is hardly any "dirt" showing at all in the beds.

One suggestion though... try to avoid putting just "one" plant in a space. I always aim for at least three or five together in a grouping.

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    10 years ago

You're so right, nan. Three or five of one type together. Learned that from a landscaper friend.

• ellenrr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank you for your ideas.
    Caryltoo, I've had strawflowers for several years. (initially got them from a WS trade)
    Love 'em! They do indeed get tall, mine get about 2 feet high. As dried flowers they literally last for years.

i also like to see no dirt, love a filled garden, so much less work - weeding, watering.

this year I am going to mix plants.
    actually decided yesterday to leave my 2 beds - herbs and pereniels as they are - I like to focus on them.

I have one more big bed that I have to clear will squeeze in as many seedlings there as possible. will send pictures as this is the year I hope when I buy a digital camera.

thanks! Love to hear your'all ideas. :)

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    10 years ago

Looking forward to your pics, Ellen. And can't wait for the strawflowers -- my mom had dried flower arrangements with them years ago.

Sponsored