Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellenrr_gw

weather!

ellenrr
10 years ago

I know we gardeners are always finding the weather too hot, too rainy, etc., never just right - but this is really nuts- forecast for nj in a couple of days is 39 degrees low and high of 58.

that is very close to the record low, for this area and this date, acc. to my weather map.

are other peoples' weather similarly strange?

I do not remember ever using my space heater in May. oh well. can't do anything about it.

I did plant out poppy and salvia on Friday, and with overcast skies and light rain, it is good weather for planting out.

my zinnias are growing like gang-busters! I can almost see them grow. I must send a note of apprecation to Crossman's seeds.

Comments (9)

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    10 years ago

My weather is the same as yours, but I can remember one other spring like this where we had to cancel our son's pool party on June 24 because it was rainy and cool and had been like that for the previous few months. Of course two days later it was in the high 80s to stay.

I planted out a number of things Saturday while it was overcast -- a couple of tomatoes that were ready, sunflowers and cape daisies.

At least we're having a spring with days in the high 60s and 70s even if we have a few cool days and cold nights thrown in. It's much more pleasant to work in the garden when it's 70 than when it's 85, don't you think?

• tepelus
    10 years ago

The forecast here for today is a high of 48, which we may not reach, and a low of 28 for tonight. All of my hostas are leafed out and a cold snap like that will freeze their leaves. Going to have to get out some sheets and cover as many as I can for tonight. High of 80 by Wednesday. My sprouts I covered up with the lids on their jugs last night and I'll tuck them against the house today to help keep them warm. I'm not too concerned with them, but all of that tender foliage on my hostas will get fried without some cover.

Karen

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

I'm also getting sick of this. I take a week long vacation every May to work in the garden. This is my week, and we're expecting highs in the 50s and one low of 31. It's also been raining, and the farmers haven't been able to plant the corn yet. I'll be able to pull invasive garlic mustard, at least. It may even be too muddy to dig Lily of the Valley. Certainly too cold and wet to transplant my wintersown seedlings. Maybe by the end of the week it will be dryer. I especially hope we aren't getting all of our rain for the season now and will have another drought-ridden summer. Happy gardening to all.

Martha

• ellenrr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I always am prepared for a drought in August.
    We usually have one.
    I remember one time it was so bad they rationed water - use it every other day. for car-washing and plant-watering.
    Last year it wasn't so bad.

• tepelus
    10 years ago

The hostas are all covered, and the sprouted jugs are against the house. Hoping it won't get as cold as they're predicting.

Karen

• lizbest1
    10 years ago

I feel your pain. Last week was the first in over a month that we didn't have snow at least 1 day and that nightime temps have been up around freezing. And now it's supposed to be 90 degrees by the end of the week, crazy!

• ladyrose65
    10 years ago

We got Rain! I am so happy. 3 1/2 weeks with no rain. Now I can start planting out.

• kqcrna
    10 years ago

We had frost Sunday and Monday night. Today (Wednesday) it was 86 degrees.

Karen

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    10 years ago

Did everything survive, Karen? You have to be close to your 90 percent frost date. (But guess that's why it's 90 and not 100).

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz