Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellenrr_gw

OT - picture question

ellenrr
12 years ago

I'm green with envy after seeing everyone's beautiful pictures.

Someone wants to give me a cellphone (T-mobile) with a camera for my birthday. I already have a basic phone which serves me fine.

So - if my goal is taking garden pictures - what else would I do with a camera? lol - would there be a difference in quality between a cell phone camera and just a camera?

I'm thinking maybe I should just go for the camera since I already have a phone.

thanks for any feedback. I am not very tech-savvy which is why I don't yet have a camera, being unable to choose which and how. I can't understand how the pics get from the camera into the computer! (I'm in the dark ages)

Comments (11)

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

I hesitated to switch from 35mm to digital photography but can honestly say it's 1,000% better using a digital camera:

- instant gratification seeing how a shot turned out
    - no film to buy/load/remove/drop off for developing/pick up after developing
    - the ability to delete poor/bad shots
    - not having to stop shooting to change out the film when 24/36 shots have been used

Uploading to the computer and a photo sharing website is relatively easy once you learn how to do it. You won't get the megapixels with a cell phone camera that are available with a digital camera so photo quality is far better with the camera vs. phone. I can't say for certain what cell phone photo features are available as I don't use one but the digital camera also has vibration reduction, red-eye solutions, and settings for day/night, sports, zoom in/close-ups & scenic vista shooting among many others. I use a Nikon Coolpix model that has been incredible from the first day I got it. I drool over newer models but can't justify the cost when my little point-and-shoot takes such incredible photos.

Syringa vulgaris/old-fashioned lilac
    {{gwi:384792}}

Narcissus poeticus/poet's narcissus
    {{gwi:384795}}

Mertensia virginica/Virginia bluebells
    {{gwi:268862}}

Leonard Messel magnolia
    {{gwi:384798}}

Iberis/candytuft
    {{gwi:384801}}

Flowering crabapple
    {{gwi:384804}}

Phlox divaricata/woodland phlox
    {{gwi:384807}}

Butterfly bed
    {{gwi:384810}}

Burgess Oval
    {{gwi:384812}}

Crabapple Corner
    {{gwi:384816}}

La Musardiere/A Place to be Idle
    {{gwi:384820}}

My daughter has a fancier camera than mine but I wouldn't say there's hundreds of $$$ difference between our photos. I was pretty nervous the first time I uploaded photos from the camera to the computer but I got the hang of it pretty fast.

• ellenrr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

wow - you certainly make yr case with those pictures!
    It amazes me that the ordinary person can now take photos that look like the pros.
    And that settles it for me. Maybe I'll get the cellphone/camera, but I definitely want a camera that takes pics like yours.
    About how much does one like that cost?

ell

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

ell - I had $200 budgeted for my first digital camera and that's roughly what I spent. I bought an extra memory card (thumbnail-sized little plastic disk) to take with me on the Sail Boston/Tall Ships trip so my camera will hold as many as 750+ photos. It certainly isn't necessary to spend $200 but I got the megapixels, optical zoom, rechargeable battery, flash recharge and other features on my wish list. I figure I saved that much in film processing the first year alone.

• countrycarolyn
    12 years ago

Ellenrr I just recently started playing with my cell phone camera. I have to say it takes pretty good pictures and I have an older phone, one of the lg slide with a 2 megapixel camera.

I bought my digital camera years ago and it is a 6 megapixel.

The cell phone is fast it takes pretty good shots and you always carry it with you. I can get pictures online by sending them to my email then uploading them. That is included in the texting plans. I have teenage females so texting is a must around here.

I was at my sisters yesterday and I took some pictures with my phone but I can't load photobucket on this device right now but I will try again later.

• countrycarolyn
    12 years ago

Well I just learned you can send your pictures straight to photobucket from your phone like you would send a text.

Enjoy!

{{gwi:384823}}

This is abby, I couldn't resist getting her in the shot!
    {{gwi:384825}}

Mr. cat on some really ugly butterfly weed!! I think I got to close cause it is a tad blury.

{{gwi:384827}}

• tomva
    12 years ago

Gardenweed,I dont recall seeing many shots of your yard,with the landscaping..I have to say it is beautiful..

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

tomva - thanks for the kudos. This is the first time I've posted photos of the beds I designed and planted since moving here nearly 6 years ago. They took a long time to fill in and weren't ready for prime time viewing until recently. There's still a long way to go but thanks to cardboard, mulch, winter sowing & 2,500 lbs. of quarried granite, I'm pleased with progress so far.

• ellenrr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks country carolyn,
    those cell phone pics are also beautiful.
    ummm..back to a decision. :)

• pippi21
    12 years ago

Eileen..Nikon Coolpix..anything else added to it? Your pictures are always fantastic. We have a Canon PowershotA560
    and I hate it! About ready to give up on it. Reading and understanding directions is not my expertise. Just saw on front of camera that it has 7.1 mexapicels..whatever that means. DH has it set at what he thinks it should be on and I'm always the stupid one. One of these days I'm going to pull the instruction book out and see if I can figure it out or go back to Ritz and get somebody up there to show me how to use it.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Nikon Coolpix S10 right out of the box, 6 megapixels, 10X optical zoom, wide-angle & zoom lenses. I'd love to upgrade to higher megapixels but this camera just performs so great, I'm in no big hurry to spend the ca$h. The megapixels are what give you the sharp, clear images.

• countrycarolyn
    12 years ago

Elenrr the quality isn't as good from a cell phone compared to a digital camera, but if someone is going to get you one I would use it till you can get a camera. Nowdays they should have better cameras in phones, my phone is considered a dino, in other words it is so old they haven't sold it for years, lol.

Gardenweed I think your camera takes great shots!