Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jodie74_gw

Still waiting......

jodie74
12 years ago

Coral bells..... I planted a WHOLE lasagna pan and was heavy on the seed! Planted a mix of the packets received in trade and so far-NOTHING!!! :(

Super bummed on this one! Any input? My caramel coral bells that I planted in milk jugs are up. Those are the only ones I planted separate.

Happy to report my astilbes are coming. Oh, I have ZERO germination on bleeding hearts too but I read that unless seed in super fresh, it won't germinate. So that explains that. Gonna break down and buy a plant or two.

Comments (9)

• skywaitress
    12 years ago

I'm still waiting with fingers crossed for:
    Hosta, Large leaf and "Francis Williams"
    Lady's mantle and numerous Hollyhocks and Hibiscus.
    My first year of winter sowing with 35 out of 59 jugs germinating thus far. I'm happy :)
    Like most others the weather is still winter and not spring.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Jodie, here's a picture of my heuchera/coral bells sprouts. I harvested seeds from my neighbor's bronze-colored plants last fall and the sprouts are already starting to turn a little bronze.

{{gwi:239662}}

These were grown from the same seed I sent you back in November so I'm surprised yours haven't germinated. I'll harvest seeds again this year and send you more if you want to try again next winter. I have a lot of unsprouted containers this time around.

• countrycarolyn
    12 years ago

Cardoon, the seeds haven't even swollen so I am hoping they just need some heat. We finally are getting in average temps around here so I am crossing my fingers that is what the rest of my babies are needing.

I did notice something in my paw paw container but heck who knows. Could be a cruel joke left by a squirrel.

Hellebore I think those are going to be a long wait. Along with burstin heart or I call it strawberry bush and my american beauty berry.

I gave up on the phlox paniculata though I can not and will not toss my container. I have already been on the hunt for bare roots, during my hunt I found another phlox that has a longer bloom. Hmm I want to say it is something like phlox par??, oh I forget. I found the little plant at praire moon anyone have experience with plants from them??

• tepelus
    12 years ago

I have several unsprouted containers too. I opened them all yesterday so they could get some air since algae and moss are taking over with the lids on, plus I don't want the seeds to bake now that our temps have finally warmed. I'm hoping for some sprouts in these containers this year but if I don't get any I'll reseal them in the fall and set them aside. Maybe next year the rest will sprout. I just hope the seeds haven't rotted and I'm wasting my time keeping them. The soil in the jugs are very wet from all the rain, but they still drain well.

Karen

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

I check the unsprouted jugs every few days and have been minimally rewarded for my efforts. The Siberian iris finally sprouted but I potted up just 5 seedlings out of two heavily-seeded milk jugs. The Japanese iris jug has a single sprout in it so far so maybe there's hope for a few others. Zilch in the NE aster, stokesia & asclepias but I think the armeria has finally germinated. If nothing else, this gives me a good idea what not to bother winter sowing next year and what to buy from the garden nursery instead.

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

I still dont have Hosta, daylily containers w/no sprouts, Blue Passion Vine, and Lady's Mantle.

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

I sowed a pack of heuchera from Swallowtail, had pretty decent germination.

Karen

• jodie74
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks garden weed..... The ones that came up I marked caramel, are those by chance the ones you sent me? Other wise... Still no sprouts! I had a lot of mold and I'm sure rotted seeds in my jugs but not my lasagna pans so I'm kinda surprised none sprouted.

Not feeling too bad though because of everything else that DID SPROUT! I even have KMOTGG!! I knew going into this I'd have some failures just didn't expect coral bells to be one of them! LOL

I have about 100 jugs that have no sprouts but lots of moss. :(. Too wet of a spring but out of 1500 containers a loss of 100 is not too shabby!! I had some failures in cups too, lilies mainly. Some sprouted but not many! So it's probably more like 150 not sprouted. Oh and I have some canna not sprouted but I think they will now that temps are warming up. Ok, so I have not counted my failures but they aren't many!!! Hahahahaha

• countrycarolyn
    12 years ago

It's not a joke!! My paw paw has germinated!! Whoooo hoooo!!

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington