Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northforker

'Planting out' marathon

northforker
11 years ago

I use to wait way too long to plant out my WS'd seedlings, afraid they were too small to live independant of my jug TLC.

What I've learned over the years:

-they are stronger than they look

-that waiting means the summer heat gets closer and closer and both me and the seedlings wilt easily in the beating sun!

So I am in full tilt planting mode. "Clear it and fill it" (each bed) is my motto. Just as soon as I've gotten the weeds out, in go the seedlings.

It's exciting, it's EXHAUSTING. I feel grateful every day for the irrigation system because I remember what it was like to keep those seedlings watered before we got it.

How is everyone else doing with their planting out phase?

Comments (9)

• drippy
    11 years ago

Not too bad, considering. We are already into heat season here - 90s by the end of the week, and will probably stay pretty close to that much of the summer. I need to make a/some new bed/s, but since that might not happen until fall, I am getting over my fussing over "where should I put this?", and just cramming them in wherever I pull weeds out. I'll just move things around in the fall. More work that way, but seedlings will surely die here if they don't get in the ground.

BTW, a heat-beating tip: in high heat areas, transplant near the last light of day, and water well - that way your seedlings have the coolest part of the day (night) to recover. Keep up with the watering for several days!

I just planted out some tiny heuchera this week - a plant I love and have been missing here - so far, so good.

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    11 years ago

Friday and Saturday were planting marathons for me. Put in the whole cutting garden -- sunflowers, bishops lace, cape daisy, bachelor buttons, dahlia, love in a mist, stock -- and ran out of room so the rest went or are going in what was the perennial garden.

Last weekend all 24 tomato plants went in as well as the first of the corn and beans (direct sowed). Cukes and cantalope went in yesterday (seedlings) and as soon as the watermelon gets a true leaf it will go in, too, along with the honeydew. The honeydew is from seed from a store-bought melon. I cleaned five seeds not expecting anything, but all five sprouted. Isn't that always the way?

• pixie_lou
    11 years ago

I'm pretty much planting as soon as I see the first true leaves. It's usually 10-20 containers at a time. But often times less And since my garden beds are ready, it has been pretty easy. If i have 5 free minutes outside, i'll grab a couple of seedlings to plant. In fact I even planted a few seedlings the other day in my dress and heels while I waited for dh to get the car ready.

I've taken heed of the notice that planting out is more difficult than the sowing. Plus we will be on vacation for a couple weeks in late July, and I know that my seedlings will have a better chance surviving those weeks in the ground than in containers. so I'm trying to be diligent with the planting.

I'm guessing a third of my containers have been planted out.

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

A lot of containers got put in the mish-mash pot, because of no germination. I believe I've planted 7/8th of what I had. Still got a ways to go.

• albertar
    11 years ago

Hi Nancy and all,
    Well this person is a mess, my back has gone out on me and I've still got 4 or 5 flats to plant (perennials) one of allysum and God only knows where anything is going to go, LOL. I'm literally out of room in sunny areas of this yard. We got most of the tomatoes planted last week, and I've even got some in large pots on the deck, and had to tuck in basil seedlings that I had WS'd into the pots with the tomatoes. Next year or in the fall I will be expanding my veggie beds, we don't need 3 foot pathways there, so I should be able to make at least 3 or 4 more beds there...hopefully, LOL

• docmom_gw
    11 years ago

I was going to ask the same question. I'm doing better than most years, but I've run out of space. I have a huge bed to plant my seedlings into, but I need to dig out the Lily of he Vally first. Good luck to all.

Martha

• aklinda
    11 years ago

I have 50 plants left to plant. I dumped everything that didn't sprout - wanted to reclaim my porch. I started 300 plants; gave 50 to my neighbor, 61 that either didn't sprout or sprouted and I killed in some way and everything else but the remaining 50 is in the ground and growing well. It's getting hot here too - 90's this week - so those last 50 are getting planted on Tuesday, my next day off. They have been in the blazing hot full sun for a few weeks so that should help them not suffer so much from being transplanted.

• northforker
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Spent yesterday planting out in the back beds and hired a hourly guy to dig, lift and divide by half EVERY huge clump of New England Aster, orange common day lilys and Rudbeckia Goldstrum in the front beds. I made infrequent visits to monitor his work as he was stepping on reseeded annuals,tossing out blubs that came up with the clumps, doing all kinds of "I know nothing about gardening but I'm cheap hourly brawn" moves. I seem to have lost at least half a dozen groupings of perennials that he thought were weeds and tossed - perennial geranium, crocosimia, I can't remember the rest. I bit my lip and thought of the bright side. When he was done - I've got some empty dirt! The most stressful thing about planting out for me is the "OMG, WHERE and am I going to put this stuff" problem. Now, I can squeeze in more.

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

I started around May 1st and promised myself that I would plant at least 5 things a day without skipping a day no matter what. I made it 17 days and most of those days, I planted a lot more than 5 things. Some were seedlings and some were larger plants that I had acquired. I still have quite a few odds and ends sitting on my patio waiting for a spot but at least there's not enough there to get me committed anymore. : )

For me, it seems most things grow much better once they're in the ground, even if they're very little. As long as the weeds are away and nothing eats them. I've had really good luck so far this year with the tiny seedlings I've planted out. I don't think I've lost any at all actually which is weird for me. Maybe the heat and drought we had last summer wiped out some of my slugs.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH