Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenweed_z6a

My bloomin' little green acre

gardenweed_z6a
12 years ago

I shot close to 200 pictures yesterday here and there around the garden--mostly daffodils but a very welcome sight just the same after a long, cold, brutal winter. Thought I'd share a few...

Siberian bugloss/Brunnera 'Jack Frost'

{{gwi:385051}}

{{gwi:385052}}

{{gwi:230865}}

{{gwi:385053}}

{{gwi:230867}}

{{gwi:230871}}

{{gwi:385054}}

{{gwi:385055}}

{{gwi:385056}}

{{gwi:244038}}

{{gwi:385057}}

{{gwi:230875}}

{{gwi:230873}}

{{gwi:374237}}

{{gwi:230869}}

Comments (26)

• jodie74
    12 years ago

Sitting here drinking my morning coffee and ENJOYING the view!!!
    BEAUTIFUL PICS!!!!!
    Thanks for sharing!

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

Very pretty. I have nothing blooming here now but pansies. A few columbines should open in a few days.

Karen

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    12 years ago

Gorgeous! Are you planning on saving some seeds from that Jack Frost, hint, hint? LOL

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Thank you, Gardenweed! Setting here, finishing off a pot of coffee, looking out the window at rain and gloominess-the pics really brightened my day!
    Did you buy the Jack Frost, or did you plant the seeds?
    Shirley!

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    12 years ago

Beautiful plants. Is that a purple daffodil? I've never seen one that color. Very pretty.

Caryl

• just1morehosta
    12 years ago

Gardenweed,can we see a wide shot of your new seating area,looks pretty with all the flowers behind it.
    cAROL

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    12 years ago

What is the 3rd pic from the top? Very pretty and unique.

Sue

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

Great pics gardenweed! They do brighten up this gloomy day! Yes please tell us what the plants are in the 3rd and 6th pictures from the top. The 6th one looks kinda tropical! Is it a bulb of some sort?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

Beautiful! I barely got colubine sprouts! How Lovely!

• gardenweed_z6a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everybody! Glad you enjoyed the pictures. I haven't taken so many pictures since I sailed aboard the schooner from Maine to Boston for the Tall Ships events!!! Guess that's what a long, cold, snowy winter will do to you.

Lois - from what I've read/heard, growing Siberian bugloss from seed is nigh on impossible. If I think I can harvest seed, you can bet I will try. I bought the original plant and last year it was large enough to divide so now I have two. I'm hoping our 8 ft. of snow last winter means they'll have plenty of moisture this summer.

Shirley - I bought 'Jack Frost' 4 years ago. It didn't do well where I originally planted it in part sun so now it's in nearly full shade with just early morning sun. It also doesn't like dry so I'm surprised it survived last year's drought.

Caryl - I think what you asked about was photo #3 which is cushion spurge/euphorbia polychroma 'Bonfire.' Cushion spurge is one of those "plant it and forget it" perennials...comes up in the same spot every year, grows to exactly the same size, doesn't self-seed or need watering, pruning, pinching, staking or fertilizer. I've had my original plant, which has green foliage rather than purple/burgundy, for 20+ years--even moved it here from my old house.

cAROL - I took a wide shot of the bench with the daffodils behind it but haven't uploaded it yet. I'll post more photos here later this evening. I've been busy potting up sprouts today and opening jugs so they could soak up the sun.

Sue & Brad - photo #3 is cushion spurge/euphorbia polychroma 'Bonfire.' #6 is Fritillaria imperialis/crown imperial. It's a bulb. My mom planted 4 about 35 years ago (that's all she could afford--they're awfully expensive) and when I dug them up there were 40 of them about 2 ft. down. I gave some away to her neighbors that looked after her and planted the rest in the big flowerbed where my bench is. They're spectacular...and smell like SKUNK!!! The leaves, the flowers, the stems...even the bulbs themselves stink of skunk which is why there's not a critter on earth that will eat the bulbs. The foliage is not, unfortunately, unappealing to the dreaded red lily leaf beetle.

• dorisl
    12 years ago

I like that blue stuff too!

:)

• lgslgs
    12 years ago

Nice! It looks just gorgeous. :)

• tomva
    12 years ago

Alright just what I needed first thing in the morning while having my coffee,beautiful!!

• pippi21
    12 years ago

Eileen..seeing your pictures brings sunshine to a gloomy day here. I loved them all. Hard to imagine all of that beauty was under all those 5-6 ft. of snow you all had this winter.
    Am anxious to see more as they bloom and hoping you will share the beauty with us again. Hard to imagine bulbs that were planted that long ago can be dug up and still produce.

• gardenweed_z6a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here are a few more...

Pulmonaria/lungwort 'Raspberry Splash'
    {{gwi:385059}}

Leonard Messel magnolia
    {{gwi:384798}}

Periwinkle
    {{gwi:385060}}

Hellebore/Lenten rose 'Regal Ruffles'
    {{gwi:194693}}

Up next: the white bleeding heart. Here's a shot from last year to whet your whistles:

{{gwi:204461}}

• northforker
    12 years ago

Beautiful as always! And I think you could probably make a weed look pretty with those photography skills!! Love the rain/mist on the petals.

Sure wish I'd get some flowers on my Hellobores. I bought them as plants (7, bare roots, about 3 seasosn ago). The foliage is up and looks stronger than ever, but no buds.

• gardenunusual
    12 years ago

Gorgeous!!!!

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    12 years ago

So it's not a daffodil? The shape of the flowers looks identical. I'll have to look for cushion spurge. I need way more spring/early summer bloomers. Planted verbascum last year and it's blooming now. Knew nothing about it and was so surprised when I finally saw the blooms this last week. Also have a yellow flower that was part of a perennial mix that bloomed last week, too. It's great when the perennials hit their second year and bloom, but would be better if I knew what the plants were, LOL. I'd post and ask for ID, but 1. dh took the camera to work and 2. posting photos is as yet beyond my skill set.

But keep posting your photos. They're beautiful and so enjoyable.

Caryl

• tomva
    12 years ago

I remember your white ROS and the white balloon flower of yours now the white bleedinghearts,I love your flowers.Love the whites..

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Gardenweed - Just keep posting the pics, please, it's another cold, rainy, gloomy day here and instead of looking out the window, I look at your pics! Gives me hope!
    How old are your white bleeding hearts? This is the 2nd year for mine and I don't have near that many blooms. The pink ones aren't blooming yet, but they are in a different little micro climate!
    I'm starting to fret over my petunia seedlings-they need some sun!
    Shirley

• beatrice_outdoors
    12 years ago

gardenweed-way too cool!!! The lenten rose is totally outstanding!!!! My pulmonaria were from a "grab bag" online last year-I have no idea what color they will be but they are almost ready to open. Exciting!!!

Can I ask, how are you getting your pictures up without a link? My understanding was that if the GW forum has a camera next to it you can upload, but if no camera you need to add by linking to another site. I'm clicking on your pics and they are static. I'd love to add some of my own, but can't figure out h ow!!!

• terrene
    12 years ago

Gardenweed I love the Columbine and the white Bleeding Heart. I have lovely pink Bleeding Hearts but want some white too!

Beatrice, posting photos is a little awkward, but you must upload the photo to a photo hosting website or folder on a web server, and then embed a link to the photo in your post.

Usually you can copy the html code for the link from the photo site or type it yourself (if you can do a little html). Then the photo will display in the middle of the post!

• gardenweed_z6a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm glad folks are enjoying the photos and will definitely post more as the season progresses. I think I got very lucky with my choice of digital camera and the Adobe Photoshop software a friend gave me. The camera allows me to get extreme closeups and Photoshop gives me the tools to crop and resize them so hats off to & let's hear it for the creators of Adobe & the makers of Nikon!!

nan-6161 - I'm SO tempted to post a picture of a dandelion!!! I waited (not patiently) 2-3 years for flowers on my hellebores so don't give up on yours. When they bloom, it'll be worth the wait.

Gardenunusual - I think they're gorgeous too!!

Caryl - Thank you! Glad you enjoy the pictures. Send me an email and maybe we can work out which photo was confusing you. Cushion spurge doesn't resemble a daffodil so I think we have an identity crisis with the pictures. I'm looking forward to the verbascum 'Milkshake' I WS last year blooming this year too. It has lots of healthy, new green growth on it but I haven't seen any signs of flower stems yet. Posting pictures is no walk in the park but once you know how...well, it doesn't get any easier if you ask me but at least it's finally possible .

tomva - I love the whites too! They just pop against all the green/purple/red/pink/yellow etc.

Shirley - I'll be glad to keep posting pictures since I enjoy seeing them as much as the rest of you. The white bleeding heart is 4 years in that spot which is full shade on the north side of my garage. Mom & Dad practiced organic gardening here for 40+ years before I moved back home so no matter where I dig, the soil is dark brown and healthy with big, fat worms. Those white bleeding hearts have produced more and more blooms as each season passes which tells me they're pretty happy right where they are. Do you have yours in full shade/part shade? I don't think my red/pink ones ever had so many flowers where I lived before as the white ones do here. Oh, and go ahead and fret after your petunia seedlings while I fret over my California poppies that haven't sprouted. We might as well fret together!!!

beatrice - The lenten roses require patience and this year I was finally rewarded for mine. My pulmonaria were both from White Flower Farms (which = NOT CHEAP) but I figured the drought last year finished them. They're up again but neither 'Gaelic Sunset' nor 'Raspberry Splash' is looking too robust thus far. I upload my pictures to Imageshack.com and then copy the path from their website and post it here with the brackets around it. It's free and I don't store them on the website--just use it for uploading.

There, I think I covered everything/answered everyone's questions. I took a few more pictures when I went walkabout this afternoon--the poet's narcissus are blooming and they're adorable!

• beatrice_outdoors
    12 years ago

terrene....to me HTML stands for "Hate This Mysterious Language"!!! I'll see what I can do, but no promises.

• v1rt
    12 years ago

Beautiful!!! :)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

Carly, I think you are asking about a blue/purple columbine (aquilegia), shown are a pale yellow and a blue-ish in same photo. Quite pretty, though I love the yellows myself.

Great photos! Spring here has some catching up to do, many blooms are late this year!

Sponsored