Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
castor bean ws question

Posted by mary4b 4b WI (My Page) on
Sun, May 19, 13 at 8:10

I just obtained a bunch of castor beans and thought I might get them started. (Don't think it's too late?)

I read on an internet site regarding WS that castor bean is not a good candidate for WS...the claim was that they rot.

I have quite a few beans...so I could experiment. The beans are a few years old, however.

Any special recommendations for WSing them right now?
I'm wondering if I am supposed to do the typical 24 hour soak before wintersowing them?

I'm also thinking about soaking some for 24 hours and then planting them 1" deep in a full sun location outside right where I want them, with the hope that at least some might work out there....and then I'd have the WSed ones for back up?

Thanks for your help! It's so nice to visit this forum again. The amount of knowledge and passion here is so exciting!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: castor bean ws question

• Posted by nan-6161 Zone 7 Long Island, (My Page) on
    Sun, May 19, 13 at 9:54

In my experience, castor bean does not need to be WS - fine to start right now (I started mine a week or so ago and they are starting to come up - no soaking, just keep the potting soil from drying out). I always start them in 4" pots and when they get a couple of sets of leaves, I plant them out. Some in the garden, many in large half barrel plants I have.

I am pretty sure you could also DS them (maybe soemone else has expereince?) but my only concern would be the soil temps. We are having such a slow to warm up spring here - I'd be afraid the DS wouldn't work as well cause the soil temp might tell the seed not to germinate, it's too cold?

Anyway, good luck with this fabulous plant! Always gets so many comments in my garden!

o

• Posted by pvick z6B NYC (My Page) on
    Sun, May 19, 13 at 10:57

Ditto what nan said. I'm going to put a couple of seeds in a jug today.

PV

o

I read somewhere that castor beans remain viable for up to 2-3 years, so if they are much older than that, you might have little or no germination. I actually pre-sprouted mine this year; put them in a plastic sandwich bag along with a damp paper towel. Didn't take them too long to sprout, once they did, I potted them up.

o

I always ds them. Never had issues. It grows upto 5ft tall in my area. Haven't had them for 2 yrs now. I was actually planning to buy seeds until I saw a seedling in front yard. :) So happy when I saw it. I just hope my neighbor's kid won't accidentally step on it.

o

Fwiw - I planted 6 castor bean seeds a few weeks ago. They were 3 year old seeds. All 6 germinated. They've been transplanted into pots and the ground and are all thriving.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here