Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmqchdygg

OT- Cutting back Asters?

mmqchdygg
13 years ago

Someone here (I'm sure it was here) clips back their asters when they are (so big). Are you here? What is your technique? Thanks.

Comments (7)

• trudi_d
    13 years ago

Hi Mary,

I always cut my asters back at the end of spring and then they're maybe just as tall at end of summer when they start to bloom but are much bushier. Cut them down about two-thirds and don't feed them except maybe some aged compost shovelled about the plants as a top dressing or mulch.

T

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Yes, I cut (or the rabbits prune) my New England asters to keep them shorter and bushier. They tend to bloom later.

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    13 years ago

On what kind of schedule? Just the one time around now? Or am I doing a couple clips between now and (some later date- like with mums)?
    TIA

• northforker
    13 years ago

I was new to (but excited about)the idea that I could control the "final size" of some of the monster plants in my garden by doing an early haircut and another one later in the season (but before flower buds are set.)last year. I did this a little bit with New England asters, big agastaches (not the little ones) and Helinanthus Maximillion in 2009 and was pleased to get somewhat shorter, stockier plants (mostly just pinching out growth tips).

I am going to town with the process this year in order to acheive even shorter stocker results!!! Each of these will be cut by somewhere between a 1/3 and 2/3 this coming weekend. If it is too severe and cruel I'll just replant em! They all make copious amounts of seed. But I need a clarification... Trudi, you would give the haircut as dramatically again later in the season? Or just growth tips?

We never stop needing Trudy...

Thanks,
    Nancy

• token28001
    13 years ago

When you're cutting back your mums, remember, they root easily in a wintersown container using good potting mix placed in the shade. A little rooting hormone helps. ;)

I cut mine back today. I'll continue cutting them back until the 4th of July here. Your schedule may vary.

• trudi_d
    13 years ago

Nan, for the second cut I would just go halfway down. And I think I would do it by the beginning of August.

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the rooting tip on mums, token. I do the pinching until 4th of July, but didn't know they'd root easily. Good tip!

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus