Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
thousands of inch worms !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by playintheyard zn6 MA (My Page) on
Sun, May 17, 09 at 8:23

Hi everyone,
Just came in from morning walk around yard & have lots of inch worm damage. A realy nice 2cd year columbine has lost almost all of its leaves overnight. Also african daisys! The inch worms are just everywhere. The hit you in the face as you walk around. I counted 15 in 1 container of nastys yesterday although no damage. Does any one know if neem oil or something like it would help if sprayed on the plants the seem to be going after?? Ill be heartbroken if this goes on every day!

Annette

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: thousands of inch worms !!!!!!!!!!

Annette, as far I as figured out for columbines only weapon is Rose Bayer blue bottle insect killer. It is systemic. Everything else works but so so and you have to do it every day almost.

o

• Posted by ajpa z6 se PA (My Page) on
    Sun, May 17, 09 at 12:43

I did a quick google and several sites say that there are BT sprays that will work on inchworms, but I don't know if this is the right time in their life cycle?

o

Wow, Annette! I'm sorry to hear that! I sowed tons of columbines this year, I too, would be heartbroken! Let us know what happens!

o

Hmmmm - - you made me go out and check mine. I've had gazillions of inch worms for a week or so now but no one has touched my columbines (thankfully)

o

Yup, BT definitely works, is only fatal to caterpillars, like the inchworm.

o

Well dang, I can't use that, then. I have way too many plants that attract butterflies. There's no way I could entice them, only to kill their babies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here