Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenmom2_gw

Is it TOO late???

gardenmom2
12 years ago

I live near Cinci. I am in Indiana, just outside the city. I am wondering if it is too late to WS. I know it is for several things, but...

What kinds of things can I still sow now??? I got a late start this year, after some family issues, and focused on getting part of the garden in and cleaning out flower beds (between monsoon rain showers). So not sure what I can still plant and enjoy. I am looking more for things I can plant and enjoy blooms and still harvest seed for next year.

So can I still do zinnia, marigolds, 4 oclocks ???

What else can I do ???

Thanks

Comments (11)

• PVick
    12 years ago

It's not too late for zinnias, marigolds or 4 o'clocks. Get them sown.

There's a list of perennials/biennials for spring an summer sowing in the FAQs - check here. You could get some decent growth this year and a headstart on next year.

Nasturtiums, cosmos, snaps, calendula, petunias, MGS are all fast-growing annuals.

Try googling "fast growing plants"; you'll find a lot, and not only annuals.

PV

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

I live in Cinti, too. Plenty of time for zinnia, marigolds, 4 oclocks.

PV summed it up well. I might add, you might just avoid things that need cold stratification.

Karen

• lgslgs
    12 years ago

Good perennials to sow now include gaillardia, helenium, and agastache. All will bloom in their first year and germinate very easily.

Lynda

• gardenmom2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you. I knew it was too late for petunias and impatiens from seed. Columbines need cold strat. right??

What about coleus. I am going through my bins. SO will probably ask a lot. LOL

Thanks you so much !!

• gardenmom2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK. So I just read through the link above (the lists).

I guess maybe I should ask this: Is there anything that I should NOT sow now. What is too late? What are the things that need cold strat. off the top of your head to not do now?? Maybe that would be easier???

Thanks so much for your help.

OH, should any of these things just be direct sown?? Poppies?? I could sow and put a pot over them for a few days while they germinate???

If I direct sow seeds, I have to remove the mulch right?? I can't just sprinkle seeds over the mulch???

Thanks so much for your help.

Nichol

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

Most columbines are supposed to need cold strat, unless they're very fresh. They reseed like crazy here, but no surprise there.

I don't think the origami need cold strat, but not sure.

Karen

• gardenmom2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I thought so.

One more ??. What kinds of pots/containers can I get relatively cheaply, since I need a lot, fast. LOL

I know I can get smaller roasting tray type things at Big Lots, but I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas as I will be going tonight or tomorrow to get a boat load of these.

Also, I did this a few years ago, but now cant remember. Do you WS in normal potting soil, or seed mix or compost/peat mix or ????

Thanks

• michiet
    12 years ago

Use potting mix

Can probably get container during recycle day if you have one in your area

• mmqchdygg
    12 years ago

Starbucks for milk jugs (if you have one close by). Grab some coffee grounds for your compost pile while you're in there, too!

I'll be doing my Morning Glories this week, and I always do at batch of Cosmos for one bed that I have going all season.
    I'll WS the cosmos around first of June and plant out after the poppies go by. Here's the May-October plan in that bed:

Iris
    Poppies- (direct-sown in March)
    Cosmos to wind down the season (I use either Bright Lights or Sonata Carmine, or a combo since they are a good color-combo together.)

• gardenmom2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So it's too late for direct sowing poppies, right??

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    12 years ago

Not sure about the poppies, but I'll direct sow my cosmos later this month, and just did marigolds a couple weeks ago and they're nice and big already.

And no, you really can't just sprinkle seeds on mulch. They might sprout, but their roots won't be able to get a firm hold.

As others have said, hit the recycling bins for 2L soda bottles and milk jugs. Both work great for seed starting. I don't get the lasagna/roasting tray thing. Why buy what you can get for free?