Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linda1270

Winter Sowing Zinnias?

LindaMA
12 years ago

I've been waiting to sow my zinnias due to the non-stop rain here in MA. It looks like Saturday is going to be a nice sunny day but then we're going back into the soup again, at least until Wednesday of next week. How long can I wait to winter sow my zinnia's. I know I can just plant the seeds but I'd prefer to winter sow them in a milk jug because they always come out so nice, however, I'm worried because there isn't any sun and too much rain!

Would it be okay for me to add the seeds to the milk jugs and put them out on Saturday? Any thoughts?

Linda

Comments (10)

• duane456
    12 years ago

I planted mine in jugs a couple of weeks ago. The temps here don't get high until June and most have not even sprouted yet. They will sprout when it's time. The seem to know more than I do about when they are ready. Just go ahead and do it. It won't hurt unless they sprout and then get a hard freeze. Probably unlikely now.
    Duane

• trudi_d
    12 years ago

Should be fine, but right now you're doing Spring and Summer Sowing.

• beachgrub
    12 years ago

I wintersowed mine in march and they came up faster than i expected! Oops. Even tho i've been tarping when a frost is predicted they are brown and yellow now. So about 2 weeks ago i direct sowed and they've popped up already- niiiice. If i were you i'd just wait for all the rain to pass and then direct sow due to how fast they pop. Good luck!

• LindaMA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all. The fact that they pop up so quickly is why I asked. I winter sowed them last year a bit too early and what happened to beachgrub happened to me, they sprouted in about a week but then we had a few cold nights and they turned brown, not to mention the soil I had sowed them in was horrible, a cross between cement and mud. Anyway I plan on putting some jugs of Zinnias out tommorrow and I have some nice potting soil from Maine to sow them in.. I can't wait, I just love Zinnias!

Thank again,
    Linda

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

I sowed mine on the 8th of March. I lost mine due to cut worms and slugs. You should be fine especially if you are getting rain.

• ellenrr
    12 years ago

The first batch I ws'd didn't do well. Don't know why. I tried again on May 4 and by May 10th they were up, and much better germination rate than before.

If you get too much rain, you can just sling a big piece of plastic over them.

• docmom_gw
    12 years ago

I started sowing my Zinnias this weekend, also. They should be perfect if sown around now. A little moisture before the heat hits will just get them primed to grow when the sun finally arrives. I plan to plant mine out as soon as they have any size at all.

Martha

• PVick
    12 years ago

I just sowed a set of zinnias last night. They should come up quickly. I need to be as quick about prepping their summer home.

PV

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    12 years ago

My ws ones are OK, but the germination rate wasn't good - in one jug it was 3 out of 9. I need to resow any day now. :)

• docmom_gw
    11 years ago

Less than a week, and most of my zinnias have already sprouted. We've had three days in the mid-70s, but cooler nights. I might even plant them out tomorrow, just to get them in the ground. What a great year.

Martha

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County