Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter Sowing Zinnias?

Posted by lindama MA z5 (My Page) on
Thu, May 10, 12 at 9:30

I've been waiting to sow my zinnias due to the non-stop rain here in MA. It looks like Saturday is going to be a nice sunny day but then we're going back into the soup again, at least until Wednesday of next week. How long can I wait to winter sow my zinnia's. I know I can just plant the seeds but I'd prefer to winter sow them in a milk jug because they always come out so nice, however, I'm worried because there isn't any sun and too much rain!

Would it be okay for me to add the seeds to the milk jugs and put them out on Saturday? Any thoughts?

Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter Sowing Zinnias?

I planted mine in jugs a couple of weeks ago. The temps here don't get high until June and most have not even sprouted yet. They will sprout when it's time. The seem to know more than I do about when they are ready. Just go ahead and do it. It won't hurt unless they sprout and then get a hard freeze. Probably unlikely now.
Duane

o

Should be fine, but right now you're doing Spring and Summer Sowing.

o

I wintersowed mine in march and they came up faster than i expected! Oops. Even tho i've been tarping when a frost is predicted they are brown and yellow now. So about 2 weeks ago i direct sowed and they've popped up already- niiiice. If i were you i'd just wait for all the rain to pass and then direct sow due to how fast they pop. Good luck!

o

Thank you all. The fact that they pop up so quickly is why I asked. I winter sowed them last year a bit too early and what happened to beachgrub happened to me, they sprouted in about a week but then we had a few cold nights and they turned brown, not to mention the soil I had sowed them in was horrible, a cross between cement and mud. Anyway I plan on putting some jugs of Zinnias out tommorrow and I have some nice potting soil from Maine to sow them in.. I can't wait, I just love Zinnias!

Thank again,
Linda

o

I sowed mine on the 8th of March. I lost mine due to cut worms and slugs. You should be fine especially if you are getting rain.

o

The first batch I ws'd didn't do well. Don't know why. I tried again on May 4 and by May 10th they were up, and much better germination rate than before.

If you get too much rain, you can just sling a big piece of plastic over them.

o

I started sowing my Zinnias this weekend, also. They should be perfect if sown around now. A little moisture before the heat hits will just get them primed to grow when the sun finally arrives. I plan to plant mine out as soon as they have any size at all.

Martha

o

• Posted by pvick z6B NYC (My Page) on
    Sun, May 13, 12 at 18:27

I just sowed a set of zinnias last night. They should come up quickly. I need to be as quick about prepping their summer home.

PV

o

My ws ones are OK, but the germination rate wasn't good - in one jug it was 3 out of 9. I need to resow any day now. :)

o

Less than a week, and most of my zinnias have already sprouted. We've had three days in the mid-70s, but cooler nights. I might even plant them out tomorrow, just to get them in the ground. What a great year.

Martha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here