Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I plant in the rain?

Posted by leisa_in_md z6 MD (My Page) on
Sun, May 3, 09 at 9:33

It will NOT stop raining! I have plants popping out of their containers, but the ground is so wet. Can I plant things out anyway? Or do I really have to wait until things dry out a bit...

Thanks!
Leisa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I plant in the rain?

It's pretty soggy here in the Old Line State this weekend.

I've been planting into raised beds only. I'm also transferring jillions of seedlings into styrofoam cups (the plants are too small to withstand the local wildlife but need to get out of their cramped jugs).

o

We have had rain everyday. Not alot mind you, just dreary
wet slow drizzly , misty, sprinkles.

Anyway, I can't rototil until the ground has dried a bit.
I have bachlor buttons busting out of their jugs as well.
I suppose I will need to transplant into cups??

I am at a stand still here.

Mary

o

I planted out most of my seedlings in the rain. Yesterday, I planted out alot since it was a slow drizzly rain. I find that to be the best time! No need to water and no worries about being scorched by the sun. If it is not pouring, then go for it!

o

It is recommended NOT to work the wet earth, as it destroys the soil structure.

However, one must do what one must do. As it seems that some of us are gong to have 40 days of rain!

o

I plant in the rain. As long as I have good draining soil, I know the seedlings will be okay. Protect from slugs and keep the mulch away from them for a bit. You'll be fine. Just planted out day lily seedlings this morning. Had about 35 germinate in a lasagna pan. Other seeds were just starting to crack open. I scattered the remaining dirt over the area and will let the rain this afternoon settle everything into place.

o

• Posted by bakemom z6 Central Ohio (My Page) on
    Sun, May 3, 09 at 10:45

I love to plant out in the rain.

o

• Posted by dorisl 5 NW Chicago burbs (My Page) on
    Sun, May 3, 09 at 11:29

I think as long as the spot doesnt have standing water, it should be ok.

I planted out in the rain also. Mostly, everything is ok.

I planted some spanish onions in a spot that was too soggy and sticky and i think they are goners.

o

Calendulas and Bachelor Buttons are too big even for large container they're in.

Now I'm going to feel guilty if I don't transfer them to individual cups cause they're already leaning over.

I'm still moving things I started indoors into larger containers and can't plant them out.

And I still have to sow Zinnia and other annuals in cups.

Didn't get enough planted out before heavier rain started. Life keeps intruding on what's really important here!

o

Life keeps intruding on what's really important here!

Amen, sister!

o

I prefer to plant out in the rain. It's also a great way to build lasagna beds. I don't have to stop to water in between layers.

o

I planted out on Thursday here - it was overcast and just as I was hitting my stride it started to rain - then pour. But I planted away - until my boots were so heavy with clay I could no longer lift them ( heck of a workout!) I could no longer hold onto the shovel - I never fell but I know the 'hood was watching wondering what the nut was doing now!

o

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Sun, May 3, 09 at 15:27

I can't do any gardening in the rain, because I'm so sweet, I'd just melt away! Photobucket

o

• Posted by bakemom z6 Central Ohio (My Page) on
    Sun, May 3, 09 at 15:30

Sugar pie honey bunch....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here