Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
last year's love could repeat this year

Posted by tiffy_z5_6_can 5/6 (My Page) on
Sun, May 4, 14 at 10:31

Hello to everyone. Glad to see the forum is still alive and well. :O)

So last year I signed a 4 year least and started to establish gardens on a cute property. Decided to sow some Zinnias for the umpteenth time. In the past they had not germinated or they had crashed during a cold night, but last year they grew and grew and WOW!! Gosh, I did not think colours could be so sharp!!

Winter sowed them again this year along with Calendula, California Poppies, Sunflowers, and the miriades of other perennials and annuals, and 8 different kinds of Digitalis - another favourite. Guess what germinated first?? Zinnias. The Enchantress Zinnia no less. Blooms to a gorgeous old rose colour that is so solid.

We've had a few freezes but I have had a few more germinations... of Zinnias! I have no idea why Zinnias are anxious to germinate and grow here on Porcupine Hill in Terence Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada, but it is what it is and I am going to enjoy it!

Looking forward to seeing them again this year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: last year's love could repeat this year

How wonderful for your zinnia successes this year, Tiffy.

I am having poor results with zinnia, probably need to buy new seeds as have been using old seeds. Love their bright colors. Deer and rabbits love them too.

o

....Hellooooo to Tiffy!....

Vera

o

mnwsgal,
So far I haven't seen any deer or rabbits here. I know they are on the other side of the road in the woods and last fall would cross over to my neighbour's to eat her apples, but at other times of the year they seem to stay away. Fine by me. There's quite the collection of hostas here. :O)

Hellooooo Vera!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here