Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anybody found a way to squirrel-proof containers?!

Posted by ellenr 7A NJ (My Page) on
Wed, May 14, 14 at 10:41

boy I am so mad.
they got one of my balsams, which I had just planted out -and I was remarking how quick they were growing.
just sheared the top off, so I can't replant.

and then dug in my containers, destroying seedlings that I've waited weeks for.
I've got some wire at my garden that I'm going to try.

and then I put some of these small wire mesh wastebaskets over some containers.

I'm going to get more of these.

Please tell me what works for you.
I'm ready to get out the shotgun!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anybody found a way to squirrel-proof containers?!

I feel your pain. I came out today to find they had bitten off ALL my tulips, dug up and completely turned over my pot of green onions just sprouting, dug up and chopped off the heads of some potatoes. They have not been so bad in recent years because I put out feeding stations near the fences and that keeps them out of the gardens, but not this year. They have chewed on daylily and iris shoots as well. I have few covers I fashioned: just a rectangular wooden base with chicken wire attached all around. In some cases I closed the top but that's the only thing that works. I also place cut-off 2 litre and 8 litre containers and cover emerging plants. I put one of the covers over my angelique tulip bulbs which are just beginning to bloom. I wish I had a shotgun. One other thing I am planning to try is mouse traps. They will spring them and be frightened off, but will not be hurt. And to think we cut down our big trees to get rid of them and they still come!! Arrgghh!!

o

oh, I am really sorry you had such losses. So far putting wire over my containers is working. I know if they get really determined they can get under it, but hopefully not before my little seeds grow.

o

They got me this year too. All I know is pepper and cinnamon, however, it washes off with rain or watering of the plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here