Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tepelus

Disappointed

tepelus
12 years ago

I winter sowed what I had thought to be Blue Columbine three years ago. This year they are finally flowering. After the long wait, and seeing how nice the plants have grown this year, I was all excited to see my Blue Columbine finally flower for the first time...only, they're not blue, and the flowers are puny. They are about an inch wide, purple double flowers with greenish white stripes that dangle. I love purple flowers, but these are ugly. I wanted to rip them out, but I didn't have the heart. Most likely they'll die after this year, and so I guess this next winter I'll have to order some Blue Columbine seed and probably wait another two to three years to see them flower. I think I got the seeds from Swallowtail, but it's been so long ago that I don't really remember where I got them from. Sigh. Maybe I'll take a picture of them later when there are more blooms. Maybe it'll look prettier then.

Karen

Comments (7)

• plays_in_dirt_dirt
    12 years ago

Karen, I can send you lots of blue columbine seeds. Mine are still blooming, so I haven't collected seeds yet. They should come true to color because it's the only columbine in that bed. Email me if interested.

Barbara in Virginia zone 7

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

Karen - I hear you on the dissapointment. I bought 5 white peonie plants 3 years ago. I *finally* have buds this year - and I can see already that the buds on 3 of the plant look different than the buds on the other 2 plants. Some buds are dark green with a reddish tinge. The other buds are light green. I will be so miffed if I have to tear out these plants and buy new.

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

Karen- were the seeds from a trade?

That can be a major drawback of OP seeds received in trades- you never know what your going to get. Sometimes it's a pretty surprise. But if you have your heart set on a specific plant, sometimes it's better to buy the seeds. I think you have a much better chance of getting what you want.

Karen

• tepelus
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Karen - Nope, they weren't from a trade, they were commercial seeds. At the time I planted them I didn't have any seeds to do trades, so I bought all of mine.

Pixie Lou - Here's hoping you won't have to rip any out. but by your description it seems some are going to be of a different color. Hope you have some white ones.

Barbara - Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it. They were supposed to be Aquilegia caerulea. Are what you have the same?

Thanks for all or your replies.

Karen

• terrene
    12 years ago

Sorry about your Columbine - those seeds probably got cross-pollinated. I have some Columbine that is starting to bloom that are seedlings from a Spring Magic plant. They are a solid muddy purple and reddish purple - yuck - they are probably getting the axe after this year.

Some of last year's WS Aquilegia caerulea 'Mixed Colors' are going to bloom a little this year, so we'll see what they look like.

This year I'm sowing some of the Origami colors - yellow, white, blue & white, and pink & white. These were fairly expensive seeds from Swallowtail and I expect them to seed true. But they probably won't bloom till next year (if started early they supposedly can bloom a little the first year).

• aliska12000
    12 years ago

I've been disappointed with blue shades in seeds and live plants, too.

The only true blue I have is a nice Stans clematis Rhonda gave me a couple seasons back, found just the right spot for it, blooms late.

Princess Caroline and Mariposa Skies Iris may have just a tad of lavender in them, but they are close enough.

I have two Alpine Columbine out there from purchased seeds that are supposed to be true blue, but I won't know until they bloom which could be a couple years.

The ph of the soil could be a factor, but I wouldn't bank on it. We've all had color or performance problems and guess we have to learn to take it in our stride. Even saved seeds can revert whether isolated or not, but I think that is the best bet, so I'd go for that trade offer.

• plays_in_dirt_dirt
    12 years ago

Karen, sorry, I don't know the variety -- just that they are solid blue. It's a shade of blue resembling cobalt but not that dark. I get volunteers and they are all solid blue, too.

Barbara in Virginia zone 7