Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watch the Temps in your containers!!

Posted by tiffy_z5_6_can 5/6 (My Page) on
Fri, May 16, 14 at 11:19

The nice weather has finally set itself upon us. Just a warning that the containers you might still have tops on should be aired or maybe even uncovered.

Today we had a morning temp of 18C here but inside one container the temp was 37C. In other words, it's heading into the frying zone! Time to take the tops off!! To keep the pests away I use screening just in case someone is asking. :O)

PS Lost my conversion to Farenheit chart... Sorry. Maybe someone else can translate. :O)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watch the Temps in your containers!!

Hi Tiffy: Glad to see you on the Forum again. Thanks for the head-up on containers. I always have mine under the shade of a cedar hedge, then take them into the sunshine about this time. I have planted out my lettuces already, but it has been raining so much up here I don't know when the mud will dry out. Growing some more of the Lychnis Flo Jovis for the front garden. I got the original seeds from you. They will blend well under my Peonies which are now established in the front. Hope all's well with you. Happy Gardening!!

o

And just another warning - seeing condensation in a container is NIT a true indication of adequate moisture. Check your soil as well.

o

I'm dealing with a health issue, and so not as attentive to my little sprouts as I usually am. I kept them in full sun. the last couple days, I'd think, I should really check them for water, but then that thot would recede. So yesterday finally watered them all. I learned here to put them in a shallow pan, and let the water creep up, much easier than watering each container. so-- I lost some, which had dried out. :(

not major, but I hate to lose any!

what annoys me even more is that Swallowtail seeds - they had sent me replacement packs when I complained about how they shorted me. Well the replacement packs were also way short (eg 20 instead of 50).

Even worse, I sowed all the seeds, and in some containers got only ONE sprout, in others got 4-5. To compare, the seeds I got from Crosmans or from my own plants, I got full containers of sprouts.

it's kinda heart-breaking when you do all that work, and then get one sprout in a container!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here