Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomva_gw

whats this?

tomva
12 years ago

I don't remember it blooming last year,its about 2ft tall and bushy,looks like it might bloom yellow.Ive got 3 of them in the flower beds,I can't remember what it is..

{{gwi:387701}}

Comments (24)

• jaynine
    12 years ago

Teucrium (hircanicum) maybe?

• ramazz
    12 years ago

I have sent a lot of teucrium 'purple tails' seeds to swaps the last few years - is it possible you got some of those? It does look like teucrium, with the spike at the top, but I don't know if there is a yellow one.

Becky

• drippy
    12 years ago

Maybe agastache mexicana?

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

Digitalis?

Karen

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

how about verbascum?

Karen

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Not verbascum... at least, not Milkshake. I'm growing V. Milkshake and it doesn't look anything like the photo. I WS traded seeds last year, they over-wintered and are up again this year. Actually, I take that back--they stayed fairly green right through the winter. Anyway, totally different leaf form, texture and slightly darker green.

I know what you're thinking...some help I am--now he knows at least one thing it's NOT!!

• tomva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I dont know,ya'll got me googlin my butt off,now theres a sentence you wouldn't have heard a few years back but I remember wintersowin verbascum Mullien and its kinda lookin like the texture of the leaf,I dont know,I have verbascum milkshake and its about ready to bloom,I know its not that
    {{gwi:387704}}
    but I'm kinda leanin towards the verbascum mullien,I think I did wintersow that..

• jaynine
    12 years ago

Teucrium still has my vote. Looks like the buds are getting a purple little color to them. Compare w/pics from the 'other' gardening website (posting a link isn't allowed).

• countrycarolyn
    12 years ago

Common mullien or verbascum mullien has hairy leaves and it doesn't bloom the first year. When I say hairy that might not be the right description but they are kinda fuzzy almost like lambs ear but just not as fuzzy. HUGE plant I stand 5'7" and common mullien is every bit of 6'5". The flower stalk it self can sometimes be 3' to 4'.

Ha Ha if you want some seeds of some let me know closer to the end of summer. I don't dare plant that stuff in my yard but I have access to a ton of seeds cause it reseeds like mad around here.

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

There's more than one verbascum. Southern Charm is only about 20-24"

Karen

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

I sure hope Milkshake doesn't get 5'-6' tall because I planted it right at the edge of my walkway and it would NOT look right plus it would block the view of plants behind it. Guess I need to do some Googling of my own in case I need to move it!!

• countrycarolyn
    12 years ago

I don't know if milkshake gets that tall, the one I am talking about is common, it blooms yellow. I thought I had pictures but I must of deleted them. I did think the foliage was similar on both though.

What kind of foliage do you have on yours gardenweed?

• rosemctier
    12 years ago

the buds look like those on the pinkish mullein we have at the greenhouse. i'll try to remember to copy the tag when i go in monday

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

I'm getting a bit confused as to what we are talking about now but the plants in the original photo don't look like any kind of Mullein to me. Any mileage in Agastache??

By now those buds should be a bit farther on. Can we have another picture?

• shemeows
    12 years ago

I'd say it's some sort of Verbascum. Here is a picture of my second year Verbascum Rosetta:
    {{gwi:387705}}From Spring 2011

• jaynine
    12 years ago

Here's a picture of the Teucrium in my garden. I think they look the same. What does everybody think?
    {{gwi:387706}}

• pippi21
    12 years ago

Whatever it is looks like it's about ready to bloom..so rather than guess what it is before then, why not wait till it blooms, take another picture and post and we'll all know then. LOL! I haven't a clue what it is!

• ramazz
    12 years ago

Jaynine, I definitely agree. Maybe you and I are the only ones who have the teucrium growing. Mine has the long spikes that are just starting to turn purple right now. I think it is a great plant!

Becky

• tomva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry guys I was out of town,Jaynine my plant definetly looks like your picture,thankyou for the I.D.I must have got the seeds from Becky a cpl years back..Does this have a common name??

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Teucrium must not be hardy north of Z6 because I've never heard of it until this thread. Also interested in the common name as Tom questioned. I've spent enough time and $$$ at garden nurseries over the years to have at least come across it if it were hardy where I am.

• jaynine
    12 years ago

Teucrium hircanicum is sometimes just called Purple Tails (which is a cultivar name). It's common names are Caucasian Germander, Iranian Germander, Iranian Wood Sage and I don't know what else--I googled it to find these names; I just call it Teucrium because I like the way it sounds. I've had it for many years and it doesn't seem to ever have pests or disease, blooms for a long time & self sows everywhere. I agree with Becky~I think it's a great plant!

• ramazz
    12 years ago

Jaynine is in zone 5. I looked back to see when I got the seeds - it was in 2007, from a GW seed trade with a member whose first name is Penny. As I recall, she saw me offering the seeds a couple of years ago and said hers had died, so I sent her some seeds back, from the children of her original plants.

Becky

• tomva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is a great plant and I highly recommend it to wintersowing
    {{gwi:387707}}

Teucrium hircanicum (Purple Tails)

• countrycarolyn
    12 years ago

Long blooming perennial that blooms purple, I'm sold!! Lol