Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How am I doing? *pics* and When to pot up?

Posted by ocelaris 7a (My Page) on
Fri, May 2, 14 at 12:24

So this is my first year winter sowing and just wanted to share some pics as of May 1st. I ran out of milk jugs and went with trays with roughly 2" square pots. They didn't turn out nealy as well as the milk jugs, but I also may have planted more difficult plants as well. But some things I learned for next year for trays. 1) Use bigger pots i.e. 3" deep pots and tall domes, they don't dry out as fast and the tall domes don't get crushed when it gets rained on. 2) Use 1020 trays WITH drains! I got a lot more "stray" rain in them which flooded the trays than I anticipated, I ended up draining them constantly. I attribute the lower germination to "too wet" mostly, but I know some of these plants don't germinate until the temps creep up a bit more, so I'm tentatively hopeful!

I planned on using all of these seedlings to fill up my new perennial beds, but I realize that it's going to take a combination of purchased perennials AND seedlings to get there. So I ended up purchasing a bunch of other perennials that weren't available as seeds. If everything goes right I may be able to contribute next year!

I am going to "pot up" some of the larger plants with 1 or 2 sets of real leaves into 3" deep pots this weekend and leave the smaller seedlings to grow up.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How am I doing? *pics* and When to pot up?

I love the pics!!! It's my first year too and have over a 100 containers that have at least a few seedlings....With weeding old weed filled hills/gardens to get ready for them and work, I only check them once in awhile and its amazing as to the progress!! My hollyhocks are about the same size as some I ordered from Michigan Bulb lol soon I hope to start planting these guys out and also potting up some of them :) I wont be potting up tho probably till after frost date, tho I might plant a few things out that I have a lot of and feel confident they will make it!

P.S. I learned too this year about containers too lol I definitely have a mindset for what containers to search and ask friends for this Winter!

~Michael
heavenlyfarm

o

Congrats. The ones in the jugs look really healthy. That and 2L soda bottles are all I use now since they seem to work the best. Also the least fuss.

o

Ocelaris, you are doing well. Luvin the sprout pictures!

o

I used lots of 2-inch pots, but they were also about 2.5 inches deep. More sprouted than not. So probably depth is important. I had to drain flooded trays during and after rain pretty often and had soggy pots, too. Many of the bigger ones (milk jugs and juice cartons) I didn't put in trays, just on the bare ground. That meant I had to water those more frequently, and what I started doing for the sprouted ones just before planting time was rotate them into and out of trays to water them.

It's my first year, too, and I banked an entire relandscape/partial lawn removal on it. Nearly 400 containers, many were the 6-pack 2-inch, some were 2-inch peat pots (not plugs), and many more were empty milk and juice cartons and milk cartons. The past few weeks I removed the sod, dug and amended the new beds (clay/rock here), and planted just about everything. Just finished culling the ones I've given up on and still have dozens of containers hoping for a spot in my garden. They're all about the same size as what's in your containers, some a little smaller, but with true leaves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here