Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ocelaris

How am I doing? *pics* and When to pot up?

ocelaris
9 years ago

So this is my first year winter sowing and just wanted to share some pics as of May 1st. I ran out of milk jugs and went with trays with roughly 2" square pots. They didn't turn out nealy as well as the milk jugs, but I also may have planted more difficult plants as well. But some things I learned for next year for trays. 1) Use bigger pots i.e. 3" deep pots and tall domes, they don't dry out as fast and the tall domes don't get crushed when it gets rained on. 2) Use 1020 trays WITH drains! I got a lot more "stray" rain in them which flooded the trays than I anticipated, I ended up draining them constantly. I attribute the lower germination to "too wet" mostly, but I know some of these plants don't germinate until the temps creep up a bit more, so I'm tentatively hopeful!

I planned on using all of these seedlings to fill up my new perennial beds, but I realize that it's going to take a combination of purchased perennials AND seedlings to get there. So I ended up purchasing a bunch of other perennials that weren't available as seeds. If everything goes right I may be able to contribute next year!

I am going to "pot up" some of the larger plants with 1 or 2 sets of real leaves into 3" deep pots this weekend and leave the smaller seedlings to grow up.

{{gwi:388126}}
{{gwi:388127}}
{{gwi:388129}}
{{gwi:388130}}

Comments (4)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional