Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
albertar

Tomatoes in ground yet?

albertar
11 years ago

Has anyone, Trudi? Nancy? in my area put their tomato plants in the ground yet? Or are we all waiting for next weekend?

Alberta

Comments (11)

• kqcrna
    11 years ago

Alberta, I would have planted mine by now (zone 6) but my husband had to re-do the tomato bed. The old wood frame was infested with termites. He removed it Sunday and replaced with cedar, so mine will be planted in a few days, after my soil drains well from the current rain.

Karen

• albertar
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks Karen, my beds are wood too, and next year I'm going to replace the wood with cinder blocks.

• kqcrna
    11 years ago

Cinder blocks would have been my first choice too, Alberta. But those things would have to be hauled by wheelbarrow from our driveway in front of the house to the far back of the back yard. We're not getting any younger, couldn't think if anyone to hire, and wanted it done fast to plant the maters.

I don't expect the cedar to last long- it's a poorly-made kit. Maybe next we'll go to cinder blocks.

Karen

• LilBlossom
    11 years ago

They are in the ground here, zone 5b. But they are in raised beds and with the tops of milk jugs working as cloches to keep them warm and snug.

• northforker
    11 years ago

Alberta, you know I don't grow veggies!!!! Hubbie does the veggies and insists on buying seedlings, although he did let me WS some lettuce for him this year.

His theory on tomatoes is that getting them in early never seems to work - -they won't grow till it's at least a little warm. Like I say about Zinnias. But I just checked with him and he said he is going to try to get some tomato plants purchased and planted this weekend.

• albertar
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks everyone for your replies, I guess I'll wait til next week some time. :)

@Karen...I'm 64, 65 in July, hubby 63, and I can tell you we busted our butts, because I ordered 70 cinder blocks for 2 of my flower beds. In all honesty he did most of the work, leveling, lugging the cinder blocks, I did help but not too much, :) My feeling is once its done, it better be done for the rest of my life, LOL, the veggie beds next year. The reason I did the flower bed was because we had such a mis-match of edgings, some wood, some of that heavy black plastic and I hated the way it looked. Remember you can also plant in the holes once everything is in place. :)

Alberta

• trudi_d
    11 years ago

I started planting out last week. I sowed my toms in two batches this year. When the first batch sprouted I sowed the second set. I did it this way so I don't have a huge rush to get so many toms planted all at once. All the first batch seedlings are planted and some of the new set are just coming up. Usually, my planting date is Mother's Day Weekend--I guess I'm averaging out on time.

The first set is planted in the ground.

AJC 431
    Filipino #2
    Frenki
    Firesteel
    Gruntovii Gribovskii
    Kishinev
    Kwangtung 015
    Kwangtung 105
    No. 2 (Chinese variety)
    Nung-Ta #23
    Piovano
    Potato Leaf Type
    Versalskie
    Zhong Shu #6

This set is just sprouting, so maybe a couple more weeks before they're planted.

Apricot
    Beaverlodge Plum
    Beaverlodge Slicer
    Cream Sausage
    Darth Mater
    Ditmarsher
    Elwin Hannah
    Goldilox
    Grandma Viney's Yellow and Pink
    Husky Pink Hybrid
    Maja
    Malinowe Zebra #137
    Mr Snow
    New Big Dwarf
    Orange Jubilee
    Prescott Cherry
    Red Satin OP
    Rose de Berne
    Signature Red
    Sweet Beverly
    Taos Trail
    Tasmanian Chocolate
    Taxi
    Zielony Green #132

• albertar
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Trudi, :) those are alot of varieties I've never heard of, please post pictures at a later time.

Alberta

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    11 years ago

Four of mine -- 2 cherokee purple and 2 mortgage lifters -- went in yesterday. Those I started inside on the sill and they were outgrowing their containers. The ws are going in today and over the next few days. They, too, are outgrowing their containers even though I transplanted them to bigger pots a few weeks ago. Because of the warm winter/early spring, they are bigger than they've ever been by this time.

Nan, just curious about why your husband doesn't want you to ws his tomatoes? You can get all kinds of varieties from seed that you can't find at the nurseries, and IIRC you're far less likely to have blight if you grow from seed.

Caryl

• kqcrna
    11 years ago

5 of mine were planted yesterday.
    2 Snow White
    2 Matina
    1 Beefmaster

I'd planned 2 beefmaster but one didn't sprout until yesterday. We'll see what happens with that one. It's a long DTM so might not have time to produce fruit.

Karen

• albertar
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone, :) I went outside yesterday, (Mothers Day) with all intentions of planting my tomatoes, LOL, I got sidelined with something else, and the only tomatoes that did get planted were 5 Sungolds which I grow in large pots on my deck. So now I have 2 containers with other cherry and full size tomatoes to get into the ground. I'm so behind this year, ugh!!!

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area