Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
epigeal germination ?

Posted by adidas 6/7 (My Page) on
Mon, May 20, 13 at 13:15

Actually it's not epigeal...it's hypogeal....got the wrong "geal" ! Does anyone know where I can get a list of plants w/hypogeal germination (sprout from roots and shoots, leaving seed halfway up stem of seedling...generally under the soil)? I have a bunch of "plants" with hypogeal germination (seed is about the size of a baby pea...they are not peas! ) They look like shrub or tree seeds but I don't remember sowing anything that looks like this...they're def. sown, not accidental!

Thank-you!

This post was edited by adidas on Mon, May 20, 13 at 13:54

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: epigeal germination ?

Here's a pic. Look familiar? Figuring I can put it in shade....just hard to plant it out if I don't know what conditions it prefers.

Thank-you for any input!

o

I have never heard of "hypogeal" germination - something new to learn about seeds! Your pic looks like some tree or shrub, but I don't recognize it. If you don't get an answer here, you might want to try to "Name that Plant" forum. They are pretty good about identifying sprouts and seedlings.

o

Thanks Terrene! I am not a vegetable grower...I think corn and beans tend to be hypogeal but most of the things I grow, bring the seed head up above the soil and produce very obvious cotyledons. My unknowns never had visible cotyledons and the seed heads remained buried in the soil...but it looks like a shrub or tree. Maybe I'm missing something...I'll try the NTP forum :)!

Here is a link that might be useful: hypogeal vs epigeal

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here