Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

Siberian Iris seed germinated

v1rt
12 years ago

Out of 15 seeds, only one germinated. Looks like early March wintersowing is not enough. I'm still happy :)

Comments (11)

• dorisl
    12 years ago

The rest might still germinate, don't worry, keep watering them.
    I had an absolute TON of those seeds germ.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

I like to do the warm/cold/warm (or cool) for almost all iris, and Fall sow them.

My siberians self sow, definitely getting the warm moist preceding the chill.

I have 16 iris chrysographes seedlings poking up as of yesterday, not sure how many seeds I sowed though. The first seedling or two appeared weeks ago, germination has been really spread out. You should keep your container intact a while yet...

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:389226}}

• lgslgs
    12 years ago

I've only sown Siberian iris once, but sowed them in June with no pretreatment and had really good germination.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

I WS Siberian iris seed last year and had great germination. I planted the seedlings in various beds and this year a few have sent up flower buds. I traded for more seeds back in Dec-Jan and just in the past few days finally have sprouts from those WS seeds. Comparing last year's germination to this year, I'm guessing they need a bit of warmth to germinate--it's been consistently cold this spring as opposed to the abnormally high temps we had in April last year.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone. I will look at them tomorrow. :)

• northerner_on
    12 years ago

Grdenweed, it's very interesting to know that you got flower buds this year. I have some Siberian Irises that grew from transplants. They took a long time to actually get established ad bloom leading me to think they would take years to bloom from seed. I think I will save seeds this year: I have a new bed to fill.

• october17
    12 years ago

I had some germinate (seeds from a swap). When I planted them out, something ate them. Bunny I think. So keep an eye on them!

• gardenunusual
    12 years ago

Still waiting for mine :)

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

Congratulations! I had given up on mine. I'm going to check them. I would like to see seedling pictures?

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

I'm up to 22 seedlings this afternoon, 6 more have germinated. Ladyrose, I don't have a picture taken of mine but they look like the tiny tip of a very pointy, sharp, stiff blade of grass, no seed leaves.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sure ladyrose, I'll post a picture tomorrow. I agree with morz8 about the description. :)

fyi, I transplanted the following today

1. petunia laura bush
    2. salvia coral nymph
    3. inula goliath
    4. salvia lady in red
    5. penstemon husker red

last weekend, I transplanted
    1. agastache sprite(I think)
    2. salvia officinalis
    3. catalpa
    4. coleus
    5. hyacinth vines(they look bad right now after our 36F last night! :( huhuhu
    6. Lupines
    7. Joe Pye Weed

Remaining are
    1. Wisteria Blue Moon
    2. Soapwort
    3. Lobelia something(can't read my handwriting, LOL)
    4. Heucheras
    5. Milkweed
    6. I have another lupine
    7. Ninebark
    8. Siberian Iris

theres's 3 or 4 more plants my visual memory can't recall