Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spring Sowing in milk jugs-Lid on or off?

Posted by purplehouseWY WY 4B (My Page) on
Mon, May 20, 13 at 14:20

Last week I Spring sowed 10 milk jugs of Nicotiana, Zinnia, Verbena, Cosmos, Morning Glory's & Cup & Saucer Vines, Love Lies Bleeding & Poached Egg Flower. Our frost date in actually into June now.

It was cool the week they went out facing East so I left the tops on. Now I am getting confused about whether to leave the tops of the milk jugs on and just add extra vents or should I remove them completely?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spring Sowing in milk jugs-Lid on or off?

I leave the tops on until they sprout, bec. leaving them covered and warm, they should sprout sooner.
Once you have sprouts - it depends on what you have - for example zinnia is tender, frost will kill it. So I open them during the day when the temps rise, and cover them at nite or when the temp dips toward or below the frost line.

you could alternatively increase the number of vents. More sprouts die from being cooked than being frozen. I don't know what temps are in yr zone now, but temps inside the little 'greenhouse' can be 20 degrees higher than outside.

o

Tops on to keep rain from splashing out the seeds, keeps out the critters, helps keep the soil moist, but put them in the shade so they don't cook. Once they sprout then the tops can come off and the containers can be set out in the sun.

Karen

o

• Posted by nan-6161 Zone 7 Long Island, (My Page) on
    Tue, May 21, 13 at 8:46

Also realize that if you take the tops off, you will have to watch them closer because they dry out quicker. I, too, always struggle with this decision. This year, because it has been so cool, most tops are still on. But in other years, I've fried seedlings because what looked like a cool day when I left for work in the morning turned into a warm day in the end....

Bottom line - -weigh the pros and cons for your temps/lifestyle (do you have time to take tops on and off? water?)

o

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. I peeked this morning and the Peppermint Zinnia's are starting to sprout...Ithought the Cosmo's would be first...weird. I wonder if I should have barely covered them with soil instead of just pressing them into the soil?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here