Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_h_gw

Purple Perilla -- Think I need to thin?

Lisa_H OK
16 years ago

(he-he). I seem to recall an earlier thread about this. I thought I would show off my abundance!

{{gwi:389832}}

This stuff is coming up in the sidewalk cracks, in the yard, just about anywhere you can imagine! I still love it though...in smaller quantities.

Lisa

Comments (11)

• SusanC
    16 years ago

I am purple with envy. -I've been trying to start perilla for 3 years in a row with no success.

• lynnencfan
    16 years ago

hey - that looks like a section of my gardens - I love the stuff also but in much smaller quantities. I not only have the perilla but amaranthus coming up the same way. If I could pot it up and sell it I would be VERY rich - lol......

Lynne

• Lisa_H OK
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lynne: LOL!!! I have the very same riches :)

Susan: I wish you lived closer...I'd be happy to share. Once you have them, ya can't lose 'em!!!

Lisa

• neonposey
    16 years ago

OMG! i've never seen anything like that... well maybe just once with pink sundrops....

• Valiche
    16 years ago

I just grew some of it this year. How tall does it get? I've read some conflicting info from 1' to 4'. That makes the difference between the front or middle of a border.

• lynnencfan
    16 years ago

valiche - depending on growing conditions it does fall into that range. I would say most of mine have topped out at around 2-3' - I haven't had any 4'tall. Here it is in my perennial border last year. Sun in the AM and shade in the afternoon. It is the two purple clumps and that is one plant each .....

Lynne

{{gwi:389834}}

• bakemom_gw
    16 years ago

2-3 feet here. Smaller where more crowded. This is one I have to eradicate - the former thread was mine. And... I was growing in full sun drought conditions.

• pitimpinai
    16 years ago

lol. Definitely need thinning out. Mine were 4' in 1/2 day sun and very rich soil. Very pretty though. I munched on the leaves as I went about in the garden. :-) Haven't seen any this year because I mulched heavily last fall. Can I have a couple??? :-D

• Lisa_H OK
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mine were easily in the 3' range. It seems to me the ones I have in full shade (and competing with tree roots) don't get as tall.

I'm going to let these get a little taller....they make good compost additions!

Lisa

• Valiche
    16 years ago

Well, that's good to hear. I have them planted in a semi-wild garden under a lilac "tree" and near a mighty oak. Midday sun only. Shade in the morning and afternoon. I guess if they start to get too tall I can always trim them up and use the leaves for salad. That should also help with the reseeding. If it's anything like amaranthus (just found a carpet of seedlings), I'll be sure to be mindful of that.

Nice pix!!

~V

• PVick
    16 years ago

Too bad they're not a groundcover plant! They look sooo very pretty with the green!

PV

Sponsored
Elegant Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
VA & DC's Finest General Contractor