Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Two WInter Sowing Questions

Posted by mary_max 5 (My Page) on
Wed, May 1, 13 at 15:32

I have jugs that are ready to be planted out. They are full! I am curious how many chunks I should get from a full jug to get some nice full plants. In other words how many parts do you divide the milk jug contents into if it is a full jug? Also what is the best temperatures for planting out? Does 70 sound too warm? I just want to put them in the ground, compost a bit, and then water and be on to the next one. Lots of planting out. Thanks so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Two WInter Sowing Questions

There really is no perfect answer to your question. Some folk separate out each individual plant! And many of us end up planting the entire container because we get so overwhelmed with planting out. It also depends on what plants you have and how big they are expected to get. I know that's a wimpy answer, but it really does depend on individual circumstances.

Martha

o

Oh I LOVE your answer! I think I will do just that. Plant out the entire container! At least the plant will not get lost planted with other growing perennials. I did do that (plant the entire container as one plant) last year with a few annuals and it made a beautiful site. Very full! Makes planting out a lot easier. LOL Well I am out the door now to begin my task! Oh lovely winter sowing! Thanks for your answer Martha!

o

I actually sow each and every little plant, because not all of them will survive. One thing I've learned it to pay attention to plant height and width, because one plant can overshadow another where the weaker one will not survive.

o

Mary_max, you can plant out hunks any size you want. Some people cut the container up like a pan of brownies and let the strongest survive. Why not experiment a little? You can observe the results and see what works best.

I usually plant seedlings individually, so I've learned to sow fewer seeds in each container, so there's not too many. But HOS works well for a lot of plants, especially those that naturally grow in a bushy clump, such as Sweet Alyssum, Snapdragons, California poppies, etc. This year I sowed a flat of mesclun mix and plan to plant those out in little HOS.

o

I only plant in clumps when the seeds were tiny and the seedlings are so packed together that it would be impossible to separate -- portulacus and poppies are two that come to mind. With larger seeds I space out when I sow then plant individually -- think zinnia, tomatoes, sunflowers, etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here