Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaggudada

What's the advantage?

jaggudada
12 years ago

For annuals such as Zinnia, Marigold, Cosmos which come up/grow fast what's the advantage in winter sowing? For e.g. in my zone you can start direct seeding in ground around mid MAY. Your thoughts.

Comments (7)

• littleonefb
    12 years ago

The advantage is a sure fire way to guarantee that the seeds germinate exactly where you sowed them and in turn they will be planted exactly where you want them.

The advantage is that the birds don't have direct, perfect access to the seeds for food,

The advantage is that mother nature can't and won't wreak havoc on the seeds and wash them away to who knows where except you will be sure they germinate where you don't want them to, not where you direct sowed the seeds.

The advantage is that the seeds get the best, secure environment that is partially controlled by you and the containers you use, yet germinate naturally when the weather conditions are correct to do so, and you get the healthiest seedlings possible, with the sturdiest and strongest root system you have ever seen.

None of these advantages will and do exist with direct sowing.

Just sow the seeds in the containers and see the results for yourself.

Better yet, since you are questioning the reasoning and results of WS, why not WS some of the seeds and direct sow some of them and compare the results.

I know right now, if I had direct sown my zinnia, marigold and cosmos seeds, I wouldn't have any right now. They would have been washed away with all the rain we have been getting.

On the other hand, I WS all of the above named seeds a month ago and they are already at least 3- 5 inches tall and will be planted out over the next 2 weeks.

Mother nature did her thing and germinated them with the correct weather conditions for germination and I protected them by WS the seeds and having them in the containers. They stayed where I sowed them, the birds can't get the seeds or the seedlings, and all is fine.

Fran

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    12 years ago

You can also sow several weeks earlier in containers, because you don't have to wait for the ground warm up or dry out.

• crazyutahn
    12 years ago

Weather is a big thing for me here. It will be 80 degrees one day so zinnias sprout and then the next day it will snow and freeze them becuase they dont like to be cold.
    I agree about the rain, I would have them washed into the grass.....

Then I have a cute dog who walks on everything that is to small. So the little baby sprouts would get stomped on...

I wish I could direct sow, it would be so much easier.....

• SoTX
    12 years ago

I didn't realize this was about growing in containers for a jump start, but I have been doing it for years.

Another advantage--one I consider at the top of the list--is knowing your seeds are viable. Yet another is it saves water.

This said, there are still some things I simply toss on the ground & hope for the best.

• silverkelt
    12 years ago

I still direct sow some seeds, even with disadvantages, I rarely see a reason to wintersow them.

Cosmos as you said is one, and zinnia though I have LONG given up growing those.. as they get that rust and look unsightly. I suppose I could grow them and spray but I dont.

Also you can direct sow mornging glories, columbine and foxglove. Though I typically wintersow those.

Petunias Ive done both ways, direct into the pots, under lights or wintersown, pansies as well.

Its up to you, what you fill comfortable with. I no longer try wintersowing tomatoes, not that they were not 100% easier to do and plant, but I could get another 3-4 weeks headstart. Trust me in my zone that makes a huge difference when trying to get a crop in before late frosts.

Salvia, I competly gave up wintersowing, its under lights now they are easy to harden off as well, so really no reason for me to. But they refused to wintersow for me, Larkspur as well.. the trouble ive had trying to wintersow larkspur! LOL.I dont do anything with it anymore.. I dont even try. 6 years in a row, for a small 1-2 sprouts isnt worth my time.

Do what you feel, try it both ways, sometimes creating a container for something isnt worth it. I just spread my cosmos now.

silverkelt

• terrene
    12 years ago

There are advantages to both winter-sowing in containers and direct sowing. Winter-sowing is great (for reasons stated above), but it is a lot more work than direct sowing. If you have plenty of seed, and can scatter it, or like large swaths, then direct sowing can work out great.

There are certain seeds that I consider easier to direct sow. This includes - large seeds such as Beans, cucumbers, squash, and pumpkins; certain rows of veggies, such as lettuce and carrots; all types of poppies. I also direct sow a large swath of tall Zinnias every year, and they grow very successfully.

I also scatter seed in the fall in certain sections of the gardens where I want seedlings the next Spring. This worked really well with Lupines and Dill this Spring.

Zinnias - direct sown
    {{gwi:390804}}

• silverkelt
    12 years ago

See I wish I could zinnias that look like that =P..

Actually my flowers look terrific, but the plants get the rust badly, so I would take flower shots only !

I didnt even thing about veggies but ya, Peas, Beans, cukes, corn all are direct sown here..

However, I wintersowed Lettuce and Spinach last few years and GOT GREAT results with it. Most herbs are terrific wintersown as well.

OH sunflowers, you can direct sow, but I actually have better results with that wintersowing as well. Though I didnt do any this year. I never seem to get them higher than 4 feet, or lets rephrase that, the year I did seem to get them to about 6 feet, the deer decided that was a perfect hieght to come eat the tops off, so I didnt get any blooms.

Silverkelt

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company