Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellenrr_gw

What have you planted out?

ellenrr
12 years ago

Yesterday I planted lavender and sage seedlings.

oh, they are so teeny in the big garden! I felt like a mother sending her first-born to school on the first day. Think of all the bad things that could happen! lol

Then today it rained all day, so I just ran out to my garden in the rain, to make sure everyone is ok. of course everyone is.

I also planted a whole container of lilac dianthus which I can't wait for. I had one last year and it was so beautiful. Now I wil have a whole bed of them.

I also planted out foxglove, which I will have to thin. I usually don't thin I hate to sacrifice any sprouts, but this one is just ridiculous how many sprouted.

Comments (29)

• dorisl
    12 years ago

I planted peas, Kale, Swiss Chard and a couple poppies. Goofy Ebel Skwuir-rell dug up the swiss chard. I thought the pink roots were sooooooooooo cute.

• sjc48
    12 years ago

So far, clarkia, calendula, wild lupine. The perennial sweet peas, chamomile, ammi, persian cornflower and alyssium are up next!
    Shirley!

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

I started to but it was too cold and rainy. I usally plant in the rain, but not when it's cold too. They are loaded and ready to be planted.

• michiet
    12 years ago

I planted the melting sugar snap peas

Need to make new garden beds

• cab321
    12 years ago

I've put out elka and lavender poppies, chinese houses, persian catmint, switch grass, kale, broccoli and lettuce.

• serenae
    12 years ago

Tons of poppies, german chamomile, soapwort, beebalm, salvia, ridiculous amounts of larkspur, a few kinds of dianthus, hollyhocks, aubrieta, candytuft, snapdragons, hyssop, water primrose (only one little plant sprouted though), two kinds of forget-me-nots, flowering dill, hare's tail grass, everlasting sweet peas, and some white gaura!

I'm going to cover a few things with the leftover bottle tops for the next few nights though, because it's supposed to go down to zero!

• linda_jo
    12 years ago

Ageratum, allysum, amaranthus, batchelors buttons, black eyed susans, candytuft, cleome, cosmos, coreopsis, english daisy, dianthus, hearts a burstin, hollyhock, laceflower, larkspur, lupine, marigold, morning glory, nigella, poppies (stayed tiny), purple coneflower, rose campion, scabiosa, shasta daisy and verbena. This is my first year ws. I am amazed. It is hard to believe these plants will get big and fill my garden (they will won't they?)

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Linda_jo, this is the narrow area behind my garage in May 2010:

{{gwi:390902}}

This is the narrow area behind my garage in August 2010:

{{gwi:390904}}

{{gwi:390906}}

All but a few of the plants were WS last year. Does that help?

• linda_jo
    12 years ago

WOW Beautiful plants! yes I am reassured. Thanks so much gardenweed. WOW for the walkway too.

• pippi21
    12 years ago

Here's what has been planted out so far: california poppies, purple alyssum, Patty's Purple plum poppies, rose campion, sweet william, carpet of snow alyssum, white foxglove,blue flax, snapdragon, columbine, peach-leaf bellflower, Lupines, Marshall's delight bee balm, johnny jump-ups, larkspur, portulaca, Princess Louise Poppy, Morella cherry lupine. They need sunshine and dry weather.

Now there's more to plant out if it will stop raining for a few days and get back to 70 and above, I still have Sweet William, Scarlet flax, salvia Rose Queen, Double Sun-gold rudbeckia, Forget-me-not, Oriental orange poppy, Blue lupine, Goblin gaillardia, Mrs. Bradshaw Geum, Orange butterfly weed, burgundy gaillardia(I may have planted that one out) Cluster bellflower, yellow yarrow, shasta daisy to plant out. May have missed listing some. Doing this by memory and my WS recording sheet. I didn't write down when they were planted out. Overwhelmed is more like it! I didn't stop at my goal of 36..Kick me next year and remind me, nag me..scream at me if I go over what goal I'll set for myself, which will be determined probably in January 2012.

Unsure of these seedlings at this time: David, Penstemon, Heliotrope "Marine" bes, marigolds, coneflower, liatris.
    and forget-me-not...these are still struggling but I think they will make it eventually..too much rain!

• pippi21
    12 years ago

Eileen, I love your pathway..is that a neighbor or relative doing the work or somebody you hired? Is that slate? Never realized it came in colors like that..neat! Did you design it or did they do it on their own? I really like that. Just look at all those WS plants and compare that same picture at end of the Fall Season. I'm sure it will be more plants there.

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

The Okra, cucumbers, cantaloupe, squash, kale, and mustard greens got planted.

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Eileen - that is just gorgeous! It looks so peaceful and serene! Looks like a great selection of plants too.
    Shirley!

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Anything would be better than the tangled mess of crabgrass, weeds, tansy and poison ivy growing there before. I asked the workers to lay the walkway using some (not all) of the 500+ concrete patio bricks I dug up here and there in the yard when I first moved in. My folks used them for mulch and edging...everywhere. The guys cut them in wedges with a special saw to create the curve at the corner of the garage. They came up with the basketweave pattern on their own as well. The walkway sits on a 6" deep bed of process gravel. The fence used to be in the bed where my granite bench went in last year. It was originally up near the road. I decided at least it serves a useful purpose at the top of the short, steep hill off the back of the garage. Prior to this it was purely decorative.

I planted lots of full sun perennials both sides of the walk and all came back this year except the hollyhocks. I'm glad I'm growing more of them this year because they make such a bold statement in the beds.

• drippy
    12 years ago

Not enough!

• ellenrr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yesterday planted out red poppy and blanket flower.

I have too much!

The other day I was walking, and saw someone who was planting out impatience and sh ehad some of those small black plastic plant holders empty on the sidewalk. So I asked her if she was going to throw them out, and she gave them to me - they are perfect for me to give seedlings away.

She asked me what I was growing, and I mentioned I few, and she said, "I could use some foxglove". LOL
    Fortunately the one she mentioned is one I have a LOT of, so I will bring it by tomorrow. I like the idea of my babies growing up around town. I hope they will be planted somewhere where I can see them.

Speaking of which I have so much, that I thot about guerrilla gardening. That is when you just plant things on an unused peice of land. There is a piece of land that last year someone was doing that. It's a matter of if I want to carry water there.

I'm almost done planting out. Yesterday I went to the garden inteneding to plant out celosia, but couldn't find a place, so put it off for today. And I am looking forward to pink strawflowers. That will be it (almost)

• tomva
    12 years ago

I planted out a lot of stuff but all my labels faded so I don't know what I planted out,I know, I know,should have used a paint pen,should have bottom labeled,lol,I did the same thing last year.Its all good...Love the walkway and fence, Gardenweed.Thats what I need to concentrate on is some hardscaping..

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Thanks tomva. What's even better is, they're both from 100% recycled materials so the price was well within my budget!!

• livsauntieshel
    12 years ago

I've been so busy prepping for finals and getting the last projects of the semester done that I've been neglecting my jugs (HAHA!) The only things I've planted are lupine, alyssum, and foxglove. It's been almost a week since it rained, and my babies do need some water...but they'll have to wait until tomorrow unless I wake up early today. Why did I think going back to school for horticulture was a good idea?? I remember college before I worked full time, I was busy then but now it's like I have no free time to even breathe.

Don't mind me...just venting some finals stress!

• highalttransplant
    12 years ago

In the garden:

Poppies
    Snapdragons
    Shasta daisies
    Coreopsis
    Siberian Wallflower
    Dianthus

In pots on the porch:

Parsley
    Marjoram
    Summer Savory
    Bronze Fennel
    Lettuces
    Petunias
    Gazanias
    Calendulas
    African daisies
    Scabiosa
    Chrysanthemums
    Gaillardia (annual)

Still have quite a bit more to go, but the weather has been either too windy, too rainy, or too cold to get much done.

• clc70
    12 years ago

clarkia, annual poppies-lots of different colors, rose colored california poppies, nigella, rose campion alba, white alyssum.
    I've barely begun. If I ever get a nice day here I will be busy. What am I saying-I need a month of nice days.I have hundreds of thousands of seedlings. And 60 or so milk jugs have not even sprouted yet.

• ellenrr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

livsauntie
    good luck on your finals!

• livsauntieshel
    12 years ago

Thanks! Only one left!

• countrycarolyn
    12 years ago

Tom I am with you on the labeling, oh well it will give me a good challenge later.

Things I have planted that I actually know what they are starting with lupinus perrenis, virginia stock, verbena bon. black hollyhock, light pink hollyhock with yellow eye, pink sweet pea, hyacinth bean, foxglove, clusterhead dianthus, siberian blue dianthus, siberian wallflower, lavendar munstead, rue, bronze fennel, dill, mexican tea, soapwort, alpine strawberry, larkspur, delphinum, jacobs ladder, false blue indigo, tennessee coneflower, great blue lobelia, cardinal flower, orlaya grandiflora, white turtlehead, yellow scabiosa.

Pippi you must show pictures of that murella cherry lupine when it blooms. Dawiff showed us pictures I think last year and I fell in love with that plant!!

• terrene
    12 years ago

I love Spring, and have been gardening like crazy!! But I'm still doing garden cleanup and assessing the vole damage - the voles ate the roots of many perennials under all the snow last winter. I've also been transplanting and dividing tons of perennials.

Finally got around to planting out the first WS seedlings yesterday - Virginia Bluebells, Mertensia virginica. Only about half the containers sprouted, so in case there are some dormant seeds I spread the soil of the "duds" around the seedlings.

Next is Lupines - they are busting out of the containers!

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    12 years ago

Tomatoes, cantaloupe, broccoli, sweet peas, oriental poppy, agastache foeniculum, chinese forget me not, dianthus 'sweetness', maltese cross, painted daisy, David plox seedling, Salvia azurea, Salvia transylvania, viola "sorbet".

• ldsluder
    12 years ago

WOW! I have been making, creating, filling gardens for weeks - and I still have lots more to do!!

Planted out so far:

Bachelors buttons
    Lupine
    zinnia
    columbine
    snapdragons
    canterbury bells
    hollyhock
    bells of ireland
    butterfly weed
    purple prairie clover
    sweet pea (not doing so good :(
    evening primrose
    foxglove
    johnny jump ups
    portulaca
    morning glory
    moonflower
    birdhouse gourd
    tomatoes
    cucumbers
    chives
    basil
    squash
    watermelon
    cantaloupe
    marigolds
    nasturtium
    dianthus (pinks and sweet william)
    calendula
    aster
    st. johns wort
    catnip
    cilantro/coriander
    cosmos
    painted daisy
    purple and white coneflower
    sunflowers
    parsley
    sweet marjoram
    phlox
    peppers

Now. working on keeping the squirrels OUT! Many plants are dug up every morning, having to replant, apply more dirt, more mulch - but I have now made a homemade pepper spray and gonna give it a try. Might need to go by a Great Clips and get some hair...? SO.. so many squirrels, birds, bees, butterflies, ladybugs, critters galore; hope they are all good ones.!

I am really enjoying watching all of you and your successes/gardens alike!!! Keep it up my WS'ing junkies!!!

Happy Gardening! Lisa/NC Zone 7b

• ellenrr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

yesterday I finished planting out!
    All is left is marigolds which are going in pots, not in the garden.
    I'm excited about a little bed I made for strawflower, celosia and foxglove. They will end up being crowded but I like it that way.
    And I added more purple dianthus to the dianthus plot.
    Big rain today, so I hope seedlings survive.
    I found one of my lavendar seedlings dead yesterday (had been planted in garden), but I have more.
    This is the work-intensive part for me - getting them in the garden and keeping them watered until they are established. Altho sup'd to rain all week, so that may not be an issue.

• drippy
    12 years ago

In the past week I've planted out alyssum (which was blooming in its container), strawflowers, statice, gazania, leeks and shallots. Lots more to do!

Sponsored
Dream Outdoor Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Quality Home Improvements in South Riding for Over 30 Years