Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linda_jo_gw

Pillbugs in seedlings?

linda_jo
11 years ago

I have about 20 jugs with great seedling growth but they are crawling with pillbugs. So far they have only eaten the leaves off 2 jugs. What should I do? Transplant now? do nothing? I don't like to use chemicals but don't want to sacrifice all my seedlings. Please help!

Comments (8)

• kqcrna
    11 years ago

Why haven't you transplanted to the garden yet? Just curious.

Karen

• northforker
    11 years ago

I have pill bugs (rolly pollies) eating up my pansies and I did some internet searching last night. I found one recommendation for sprinkling boran around the plants and another for using diatemaious earth. Hubby thinks he has some of the d. earth at work that he can bring home, so I will be putting that around the edges of my planters to see if I can keep them out.

• kqcrna
    11 years ago

Nan, just a thought

You might not want to mess with boron without researching. While it is a necessary micronutrient, it's only essential in tiny quantities. Higher levels can be very toxic to plants.

Karen

• northforker
    11 years ago

Thanks Karen. Yeah, I was not going for the boran...feel much more comfy with the "earth" although one must be careful with that too!

• organic_greenjeans
    11 years ago

I've had good results with DE, actually sprinkle it right into planters as well as around them. Good luck!

• linda_jo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nan, I haven't transplanted them yet because of health problems I am having. I will probably transplant them to plastic cups and grow them on since I can do this sitting on my deck! I'm not going to give up gardening but I have to do it differently. Once I have 100s of cups on my deck I can enjoy feeding and watering them and giving some away. I think I might have a plant sale in my driveway. I have a very tiny garden and had plans to enlarge but for now I am not able.

• joshhsmom
    11 years ago

Nan, be sure the DE you use is food grade (not the stuff from pool company) and has never been damp/wet. When applied, it cannot be on damp soil or plants. Moisture makes DE totally ineffective. I water beds in early AM, let dry until after 1pm, then dust. As long as I don't miss a day, it seems to work well. One-two days off and BAM! Everything is stripped. Tomatoes, dill, beans, lemon balm, echinacea, jalape�os, basil plants...even mints. The mellons, squash, and cuks don't seem bothered though?
    Monsters! It has to be monsters! No, it's worms and asps. I pick off any I can find and feed to chickens. Worms, asps, and pill bugs are out if control this year (in TX). It is a daily battle!
    I let the chickens in every once in a while, but they eat all the tomatoes and blackberries in sight. They also poo on the porch!
    :(
    Good luck!

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994