Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it to late to spring sow Gaura

Posted by purplehouseWY WY 4B (My Page) on
Mon, May 20, 13 at 16:04

I am planning on ordering White Gaura from Botanical Interests. The packet instructions say to plant 1-2 weeks after the last frost...which for us might be the beginning of June...Although the closes we have been lately is 38 degrees overnight. Anyways I was wondering if I could spring sow in a milk jug to get a jump start?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it to late to spring sow Gaura

Have you had any luck with Gaura? We're borderline zone 4/5 here and it never comes back the next spring, are you growing it as an annual? If you know a trick to overwinter I'd love to try, it's a beautiful flower.....Gaura is supposed to be a zone 6 and higher perennial, right? With those instructions you should be fine with milk jugs outside but I haven't tried it....

I still have all of my more tender perennials/annuals in milk jugs/2 liter soda bottles with the lids on but not taped, they seem to be doing fine but they're on the edge of a covered deck so they only get really sunny early morning and mid-late afternoon. Just need to make sure you don't fry them with too much sun/heat.

o

I had 1 of 3 Siskiyou Pink overwinter this year and it has come back perfect! The other 2 were coming back this year until we had another wet snow storm and It is slmost like they rotted? The one that made it was mulched with leaves and cedar...but it was in worst soil of the three?

o

I have lots of white gaura plants if anyone wants it.

o

Mori1 I will send you an email about the white Gaura plants.

o

I know I have some little seedlings that survive the lawn mower.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here