Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stlgirl_gw

What are you sowing now for fall plant out?

stlgirl
14 years ago

Alright I just came to the realization I need more plants. I was pretty conservative with my WS. I only did about 30 jugs total and some of these were specifically for my Mom's yard and not my own. Anyway I would like to try sowing some seeds for plant out this fall. It is my understanding that this works well for perennials that flower in the spring. So I am looking for ideas, what have you tried and what has done well for you?

Thanks,

-StLGirl

Comments (4)

• bakemom_gw
    14 years ago

Platycodon, sea holly and ascleipas.

• token28001
    14 years ago

I'll be sowing rudbeckia, shasta daisies, and more echinacea in late summer, early fall. I don't want to have to baby anything through the heat of our summers. My rudbeckia sown last September has a single bloom. Others are about to pop.

• stlgirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bakemom, I might give sea holly a try.

Token, glad to hear the rudbeckia is doing well for you. I also think the shasta daisies would look great on the side of my house.

Thank you both for the input.

-StLGirl

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

Had the blues all winter and was into other things. So I'm getting a late start and just don't have time to post much in this forum but I lurk sometimes. I'm going to plant most of the seeds I've accumulated, but some of them have to be direct sowed in fall, early spring, or need some kind of special handling.

Have 17 gal milk jugs ready w/vent holes in top 'cuz it's getting warm, also some 1/2 gals if I run out: Siberian Wallflower (leftovers), Adenophora Bulleyana (failed last year), Agastache Cana, Bluebeard Delphinium, Canterbury Bells, Digitalis Floribunda, Digitalis parviflora (ugly brown), Digitalis Primrose Carousel, Snowflake Baby's Breath (may sow direct and cover with open 2 liter bottle), Verbena bonariensis (not my zone, don't know what I'll do with it if it germinates), Painted Daisy, Verbascum Snow Maiden, Verbena Pink Spires, Russian Sage, Blue Dreams Catmint, White Swan Echinacea, Burgundy Gaillardia, Crazy Daisy, dill, curled parsley, cilantro, basil, chives.

Some Lupin has to be direct sowed, and a couple others if I get to it. Morning Glories, may do sometime. Odds 'n ends I probably won't plant this year or ever, wildflower mixes, freebies, etc.

All the perennials I got out of last year WS that are back are some catmint, 2 Rudbeckia Prairie Sun, nice mound of Crazy Daisy, one white foxglove and one puny one. One smallish Foxglove Candy Mountain came back from self sowing, those were nice, should buy some more seeds.

These I bought says packed for 2007 and were kind of expensive, don't want to mess with them. Lemon Clematis (buchananiana), 20 seeds; Clematis Integrifolia (doesn't say what color) 20 seeds; European White Birch, Betula Pendula Northern (tried those and failed just a few left)in pkt, says they need cold treatment. First person who wants them I'll mail in the US (pls check if they are allowed in your state). I don't want anything in trade, have my hands full.

I also have two older pkts of those Monet poppies that have to be direct sowed, have no place for them so those are up for grabs, don't want to put up a trade list right now.

Finally I'm sowing collected marigold seeds now directly into planters but have way too many seeds, some from prior years, am using some I collected this spring right now. I'll try to find a photo. The prettiest photo they were too crowded with other stuff, this one is pretty much how they bloom every year. They start out not looking like much, then pick up and bloom true by July or so. If planted singly and are happy, they will form a huge mound. I crowd my stuff too much and Darwin's law takes over.

Also lobelia and a pretty Forget-Me-Not mix, kind of late to start the former.

{{gwi:11769}}

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath