Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vera_eastern_wa

Pics

vera_eastern_wa
10 years ago

The garden is finally starting to look like something! Can't wait to fill it in with some annuals. Some of last years perennials are starting to or are about to bloom. I' like to be planting today, but boy is it ever chilly and windy. Not to mention with all the rain we've had, the beds are just too wet to be digging around in....sigh....so instead I took pics:)

The Blue Flax is blooming!
{{gwi:391429}}
Geranium rendardii......I have no idea when to expect bloom?
{{gwi:391431}}
I need to move this Coreopsis away from the Hyssop....don't know what I was thinking when I planted out last year
{{gwi:391433}}
A closer view of the Coreopsis planted to close to the Hyssop
{{gwi:391435}}
Snapdragon 'Black Prince' planted last year....
{{gwi:391437}}

{{gwi:391439}}
Dianthus 'Siberian Blue'
{{gwi:391441}}
German Catchfly
{{gwi:391443}}
Penstemon 'Husker's Red'
{{gwi:391445}}
The front of the newest bed near the front door....behind the Hens-n-Chicks and sedums are Chives and Liatris
{{gwi:391447}}
{{gwi:391448}}
Buttercrunch Lettuce
{{gwi:391449}}
Tatsoi Mustard
{{gwi:391450}}
African Daisy and Calendula
{{gwi:391451}}
Dwarf Marigold....a little blurry...opps
{{gwi:391452}}
Echinacea purpurea
{{gwi:391453}}
and.....
Do you know this plant? Has pretty blue flowers and is dainty looking. I'm still learning many of the weeds and native flora around here. Thanks :)
{{gwi:391454}}

Vera

Comments (17)

• daisydawnny
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Very nice! You plant with the little blue flowers could be Forger Me Not.....I have many patches of them in the yard that planted themselves from my neighbors yard. She had a front lawn full of them, it was beautiful in the spring, sadly the new owners mowed them down and planted grass. I took the day off to plant today, I am way behind but don't have as much to plant as I have in years past. Hope your weather cooperates so you can do the same.

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    10 years ago

Great start on your new gardens, Vera. We have an invasive weed here with little blue flowers, but I'm not sure that's what you have. But if you didn't plant it I'd pull it.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    10 years ago

Hi Vera - it looks like you have things really shaping up there and your beds will be lush and overflowing in no time. I hope you'll keep those photos coming...

Much of mine is still in pots where I dug the things that would be hard to find again or replace, brought them here to my new gardens. But the new gardens have many shrubs, ivy, false lily of the valley to remove, they'd been neglected for a long time, only mowed and (badly) pruned - I'm not nearly ready to plant.

Do you think there's a chance you could have gotten seeds or plant mislabeled with the geranium renardii? The leaves don't look like mine, mine are soft, textured, almost felt-like....And, I didn't bring it. Oh well, signing papers for the sale of my former house this morning, I suppose I could run by and take a quick division :)

Here is a link that might be useful: renards's geranium

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't think it's Forget-me-Not......these flowers are 5-petaled and the one's in my bed have 4 petals with the bottom center petal being much smaller. Also after taking an even closer look, the color seems more on the purple side; blue at a distance. It was here last spring too and so far I've only seen the two plants. The bed is shady most of the day. Whatever it is it doesn't look to bad with the Viola LOL!

Morz,

When I received the seeds in trade they were labeled as 'Biokovo', but by the end of last year's growth (1st year) the leaves really didn't resemble anything I've seen named as 'Biokovo' in here or Google Images. Earlier this year I got online to do some more research and the closest I could come was 'Renardii'.....however once you mentioned it, I went out this a.m. and examined the plant and see that the plants are evolving to have more dissected leaves. Also there is some pubescence/tiny hairs on the the surface and underside....I mean it doesn't feel like Lamb's Ear or anything LOL! So now really don't know what I have! Congratulations on the sale of your house :)

Yesterday, I planted Calendula, African Daisy and Dahlia 'Early Bird'. I also lost a few seedlings to cold....ARGHH! I woke up this morning to sad little Marigolds, Morning Glory and Zinnia.....darn temps dipped down to 32F-33F. A few of the Marigolds and Morning Glory were unharmed, but don't know how!

Vera

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    10 years ago

You got a lot colder than we did on this side, we were blessed with 50's, and NO RAIN this morning here :)

Maybe when your geranium blooms it will be more clear what it is - or, with so darned many of them, maybe not, I know I couldn't give a definite ID on most. Truthfully, there is really nothing remarkable about the flowers of renardii, not color, size, length of bloom - it's definitely a foliage plant, I think best use for contrast of leaf, not bloom.

• ladyrose65
    10 years ago

Vera, very pretty! I really like the "Black Prince" Snapdraon.

• october17
    10 years ago

Very nice vera! I love the hens and chicks. I have to find a spot for them around here somewhere.

What type of coreopsis do you have?

• kqcrna
    10 years ago

Lookin' good, Vera!

On the geranium, how about geranium sanguineum?

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: geranium sanguineum

• flora_uk
    10 years ago

You have been busy!

The little blue flowers are a Veronica species, aka Speedwell, but whether a wild flower or garden cultivar, I can't tell you.

Regarding the 'Geranium renardii', I'm afraid that is definitely not the correct id. To me it actually looks more like something in the Malvaceae than a Geranium. Did you sow any of them? May be Malva moschata?

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks on the Speedwell ID! I believe that would be in the Boraginacea family if memory serves me right....

Those are Coreopsis lanceolata....just plain ol' species. I just noticed they are also starting to bud out. One of my faves for the long blooming season :)

No, it's definitely not a Malva sp. Here is a closer pic of the leaves. Any ideas?
    {{gwi:391455}}
    {{gwi:391456}}

Thanks

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

......sorry Speedwell belongs to the Lamiaceae family....my bad lol

• kqcrna
    10 years ago

How about Geranium pratense?

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: geranium pratense

• v1rt
    10 years ago

Beautiful plants Vera! I love Penstemon Husker Red. I have 10-12 of them. I will grow more next year.

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Geranium pratense huh? Well I'm gonna check on that right now lol! I'll let you know! They are just now barely forming flower buds too.

As for the Coreopsis.....these are C. lanceolata...just plain ol' Lanceleaf Coreopsis :)

Vera

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

.....oh and by the way.....My Geranium are now about 20" to 24" tall!

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's not either G. pratense or G. sanguineum.......there is no fall color on mine...just plain green :)

Vera

• kqcrna
    10 years ago

Hmmm... I'm out of ideas on the geranium. When it flowers you'll have an important clue with flower color.

Karen

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus