Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant out complete! (pic heavy)

Posted by katy_bug z7 GA (My Page) on
Wed, May 23, 12 at 17:47

I made it my mission to hurry up and get my seedlings out before I go on vacation and I am officially done! I WS'ed 50 containers and got plants out of 29. My germination was better than that but I lost 10 or so to dry-out and bugs. My hope this first year is to renovate my front flower beds. Thanks to this forum and the newbie pack where the majority of these babies came from!

Before:

After:
Dug up the dying boxwoods, put out lots and lots of compost
Planted jasmine to train onto the fence
Put out lots of wintersowing babies!

A few of the babies:

Catmint

White coneflowers

Salvia

Lupine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant out complete! (pic heavy)

Wow...! That is really nice set up. You have a lot of space. Good luck with your new babies!

o

• Posted by nan-6161 Zone 7 Long Island, (My Page) on
    Wed, May 23, 12 at 19:33

So good that you took the "before" picture, the "just planted picture". Now when you take and add the "growing" and "flowering!" pictures, you will have a complete record of your success. You'll be so hooked that in fall you'll be writing to ask....so how do I collect seed from these plants to grow them next year?

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o

Congratultions!!! You have given your seedlings ample space to grow which is a mistake I still make. You will be amazed at the difference one summer makes. Emjoy!!

o

That is a big improvement in your foundation bed! I like the little fence/trellis, hope that Jasmine doesn't grow too tall.

Personally I would separate out the Echinacea and Salvia seedlings, although it's not absoluately necessary, you have several good healthy plants there. Some seedlings do well growing in a HOS, some do better when they have their own space.

Now look at all that grass and sun you have to make new beds. I am very jealous (have large trees on my lot)!

o

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 1, 12 at 10:49

Great garden spaces & lots of room for lovely plants

Have you considered soaker hoses for watering during dry spells? They make it much easier even if you plan to make your rounds & hand water them. On days when I don't have time to go around & water each one I turn on the soakers & a timer I put in my apron pocket. Sometimes I set 2 timers for 3 hours, so I don't forget & waste water.

I can't wait to see your gardens in flower.
Corrine

o

Like eyelashes on a face!! To echo above, I love seeing before and after. I can't wait to see more!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here