Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenweed_z6a

For anyone who isn't already convinced...

gardenweed_z6a
12 years ago

...here are a few snapshots of my pot ghetto as of this afternoon. I'm declaring 2011 a WS success story based on these:

{{gwi:392286}}

{{gwi:259338}}

{{gwi:259340}}

{{gwi:259342}}

{{gwi:259343}}

{{gwi:249456}}

The closed jugs still don't have sprouts but the blackberry lily, columbine & rudbeckia have sprouted in 3 or 4 jugs so I'm guessing the others will sprout eventually in their own good time, assuming the weather eventually begins to warm up.

Comments (15)

• jodie74
    12 years ago

HOLY SPROUTS BATMAN!!!! :P

Looks great!! My blackberry lily looks like it's on the verge of sprouting but nada yet.... My columbine has although I seeded heavily and only have a few sprouts. Hoping more appear.

I know I AM A BELIEVER!!! After growing under lights last year and about going crazy with the constant attention required, I am MOST AMAZED at the simplicity of ws'ing and yet it's SOOOOOO successful!!!

• just1morehosta
    12 years ago

WOWWE!!!!!!!!!!!!Eileen,lookin good over there.What is the one spilling out of it's pot?
    I still have some that have not sprouted also.This morning,my blackeberry lily was at a nota,this evening, little sprouts are up, all in a days work,eh.
    Rain again over here for the next 4 days.gurrrr
    cAROL

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

You got great germination rate! Wow! They are really nice. I love it how you have it all neat. Thanks for the lovely pictures.

• PVick
    12 years ago

Good grief, gardenweed! Where you gonna put all that stuff?

(Seeing your sprouts, I'm sorry I didn't sow more this year. Just a leetle envy ....)

PV

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Yeah, I think you could call that WSing Success! WoW!!
    Shirley!!

• northforker
    12 years ago

Those are amazing! Many more sprouts per container than I've got this year, that's for sure. You're gardens are going to be loaded with color and texture.

But the thing I am most envious of is your HANDWRITING! I can read every tag in the picture, unlike trying to read my very own sloppy, illegiable labels right in front of me!

• northerner_on
    12 years ago

Looking g-o-o-d!!! Just in the past few days have I really strted to get sprouts. Even my petunias were up today. But where and when are you going to plant all of those seedlings out?
    Today, I realized I forgot my poppies!! Can you imagine that? One of my favourite flowers. I was feeling so smug last week that I had got everything sown before the end of April and today, when cleaning up, I saw them there. All lined up with the labels already made!! I hope I can find some in a nursery because I cannot imgine summer without poppies. I guess I have to go back to my lists.

• gardenweed_z6a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone! I used a slightly heavier hand when seeding this year. Last year folks were urging newbies to go light but sow more containers and I think I went too light on some things. Also ended up with 486 jugs which was way over my head when it came time to do anything with the sprouts.

cAROL - that's Cos Rouge de Hiver, heirloom French Romaine lettuce spilling out of its milk jug. Got seeds from Hazzard's.

PV - most of this year's WS full-sun perennials will go behind and to the right of the bench in this bed:

{{gwi:392289}}

Others will get stuffed both sides of the walkway behind the garage or added to the bed just to the north and east a bit. The butterfly bed is far from full so blanket flower, balloon flower, blackberry lily & rudbeckia will get added there. Then there's Crabapple Corner in front of the house that still has room for more. I post flower portraits because the beds here are not ready for prime time viewing but hopefully in a year or two they will be, thanks to winter sowing.

• gardenunusual
    12 years ago

Beautiful, Gardenweed.

• pippi21
    12 years ago

Holy Moley! Batman! Happy planting out and I'm worked up over having at least 20 more containers to plant out still. It'll be time to prepare for winter by time you get them all planted.

• paulan70
    12 years ago

Wow looking good. I can't wait to start planting out here. Alot of work but SO worth it in the long run.
    Can't wait to see pics when everything is blooming.

Paula

• hostarookie
    12 years ago

Everything looks great Eileen!!

I do have one question now... a lot of your containers have the tops off, even with the tiniest sprouts. Are they covered in your breezeway? Should I go ahead and remove mine even with no cover whatsoever? I was worried about the heavy downpours that we've been getting.

I'm surprised to hear about the blackberry lilies not having sprouted yet for some! Mine are going crazy and have been for several weeks now...

Em

• gardenweed_z6a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Em - I cut the tops off many of my sprouted containers as we've had mostly just some gentle showers in contrast to last spring's torrential rains. They are on my breezeway but the open part rather than the covered area. If heavy rain is forecast, I'd likely move a few of the younger sprouted containers under cover/shelter. They've been under the open sky for a couple of weeks now so I expect they're tougher than we give them credit for.

Don't go by what I've done with mine if you're having heavy rain. Last year I hauled 200 open containers inside my garage and set them on the table to dry out because I was a newbie and cut the tops off too early. This year I let the forecast be my guide. So far, so good. I just wanted the sprouts to soak up as much sun as possible.

• ripley529
    12 years ago

Definately going to try this next year. Yours looks awesome, grats :)

• gardenweed_z6a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Welcome ripley529!! Why wait til next year? There's no time like the present to give it a try! I'm winter sowing...well, spring sowing...some annuals like California poppies and plan to keep going right through the summer. The method is the same year-round but in summer you have to be extra mindful the growing medium in the containers doesn't dry out and the sprouts don't fry in the sun.

Sponsored