Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lgslgs

Garden photos - May 21, 2011

lgslgs
12 years ago

My Mom got an iPad last winter so I'm being really good about taking update photos of the garden on a regular basis.

Here's a look at what the garden looks like this weekend:

{{gwi:392513}}

The link takes you to a set of 30 garden overview photos, shot today.

Lynda

Here is a link that might be useful: Here and there in the garden

Comments (6)

• tempusflits
    12 years ago

Wow, your garden is very, very nice! I love iris. I was also impressed with the number of tomato plants you have waiting to go out.

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

Pretty!

Karen

• shemeows
    12 years ago

Pictures of beautiful spring gardens like yours makes me realize why we save milk jugs, why our seeds are so precious to us and why we do all we do to get such results.
    Enjoy it, and thanks for sharing them :)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

Very pretty! And while two zones lower, your Spring is way ahead of ours - no iris, foxglove, columbine blooming here yet.

You do a great job with the photos too ;)

• northerner_on
    12 years ago

What a beautiful garden, and what expert photos. I always wonder how long it takes to get a garden to that stage. I am now at the stage I have grown many plants, and now I have to organize them properly. Today, I had a little disappointment: I have a north-facing garden so sun is at a premium. I had a little area at the back which I planned to plant with perennials (still in their containers). Today, to my dismay, I came out and found my neighbour is building a tree-house for his kids, which will completly block the sun. I am furious. I have wasted my time and my seeds. Now I'll have to start over. Sorry Lynda, I didn't mean to rain on your parade. I especially loved the white Irises - I suppose they are Dutch Irises. I just love white flowers, but they were all lovely. Thanks for sharing with us northerners who are still having cold temperatures.

• lgslgs
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Northerner_on - The garden is three years old, so it takes surprisingly little time to get a jam packed garden if you spend a few year WSing like a crazy lady.

The yellow irises in the photo are a historic tall bearded of some kind, and the white irises in my linked photos are Siberian irises I grew from seed. Here's their baby photos from 2008:

{{gwi:381361}}

They are the ones in the third tray. Aren't they sweet! :)

Too bad about your neighbor blocking the sunlight. If it only blocks the light on and off through the day it might not be too bad, though. Huge sections of my garden, including the first photo in this thread, are under a 100 foot tall oak tree. I get strong angular sunlight in the late afternoon to that area, but most of the day it's filtered light through a million tree leaves.

It actually helps my garden a lot to have dappled sunlight instead of steady light. They don't bake as much as if they had full light, and I can usually find some spot in the garden that's not in blinding sun so that I can get good photos. There's no way I could do my photo work if the garden was lit up all day with the kind of intense lighting you saw in the first photo. That's nice for a few shots, but way too harsh for my close up work.

It still is lousy when a neighbor interferes with your ability to enjoy your own property, though. (Flash back to remembering last year's 6 WEEKS of clearcutting noise and destruction courtesy of one of our neighbors.)

Lynda

Sponsored