Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agathafroo

Late sprouters or failures?

agathafroo
9 years ago

I've patiently been waiting for my containers to sprout, but have seen very few new developments on about 70% of my containers. Now, some of those are double dormancy things. But below are seeds that aren't double dormancy:

Lychnis Vesuvius
Canadian columbine
Climbing hydrangea
Canadian blueberry
Lowbush blueberry
Thornless blackberry
Jack in the pulpit
Wintergreen
Gentian - stemless & Blue Herald
Scarlet firethorn�
Japanese climbing hydrangea (may have tiny sprouts now?)

Are any of these suspiciously tardy? I'm trying to be patient as Chicagoland has been averaging probably mid-forties up until this week, can't really blame the little guys for hiding!

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• docmom_gw
    9 years ago

I'm still having new sprouts appear in previously empty jugs. I try not to give up on anything until at least June.

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    9 years ago

I agree with Docmom. It's too early to give up on things, especially if temps have just started to warm up where you are.

Caryl

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    9 years ago

Definitely too early to give up on anything. I usually keep dud containers until the fall. I just place them in dappled shade once the weather starts warming to 15C - tops off. I have old window screens that I place on top so the animals don't get into the containers.

Some seeds are notorious for sprouting when they want and not necessarily when we would like them to. One example is Columbine/Aquilegia. The fresher the seed, the better and since most of us deal in trades we may not know how old they are. So seeds may germinate early, and others late. I've had seeds germinate in late July.

• littleonefb
    9 years ago

way, way, way to early to give up. 10 years experience tells me that one can consider giving up, in your zone, at the end of June.
    Even then, surprises do germinate when you least expect them.

My vesuvius jut germinated yesterday, and columbine is famous for taking a long time to germinate.

Your other seeds, I've never sown, but don't give up now. you have more than a month to go before "giving up" should be thought about.

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    9 years ago

Tiffy's comments about trades may explain what I've been wondering. I have about 90% of the 30 containers germinated, altho some have only one seedling. These that I got in trade- have not -globe amaranth, coneflower pow-wow, mauve mullein. so 3 out of 5 containers which were planted with things recieved in trade, have not sprouted. I had just concluded they were duds.
    but I had not considered that if the seeds are older, they take longer to germinate, so I will wait til June, as has been suggested.
    I also suggest, when trading, people note the year of the seed.

• agathafroo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, very reassuring! I've been concerned as it's been a very cold and damp spring here, so I'm a bit worried that the seeds are moldy/waterlogged/etc. but I'll be patient til July 1 :)

Re: trades, I have some total holdouts in that arena, but just things that are ideally sown immediately, like bearclaw hellebore, partridgeberry, and scarlet firethorn. Unsurprising that I haven't seen any sprouts in those containers. I agree that trades should indicate year. It's considered courtesy to do so here.
    A lot of seeds are fine even if a few years old, but knowing helps me be more patient. :) The folks I traded with mostly did indicate year. But I also figure that there may be some other human error in the mix despite people's best efforts (botched seed harvesting, storage, etc). It's all fun.