Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Late sprouters or failures?

Posted by agathafroo 5A (My Page) on
Fri, May 9, 14 at 19:11

I've patiently been waiting for my containers to sprout, but have seen very few new developments on about 70% of my containers. Now, some of those are double dormancy things. But below are seeds that aren't double dormancy:

Lychnis Vesuvius
Canadian columbine
Climbing hydrangea
Canadian blueberry
Lowbush blueberry
Thornless blackberry
Jack in the pulpit
Wintergreen
Gentian - stemless & Blue Herald
Scarlet firethorn�
Japanese climbing hydrangea (may have tiny sprouts now?)

Are any of these suspiciously tardy? I'm trying to be patient as Chicagoland has been averaging probably mid-forties up until this week, can't really blame the little guys for hiding!

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Late sprouters or failures?

I'm still having new sprouts appear in previously empty jugs. I try not to give up on anything until at least June.

o

I agree with Docmom. It's too early to give up on things, especially if temps have just started to warm up where you are.

Caryl

o

Definitely too early to give up on anything. I usually keep dud containers until the fall. I just place them in dappled shade once the weather starts warming to 15C - tops off. I have old window screens that I place on top so the animals don't get into the containers.

Some seeds are notorious for sprouting when they want and not necessarily when we would like them to. One example is Columbine/Aquilegia. The fresher the seed, the better and since most of us deal in trades we may not know how old they are. So seeds may germinate early, and others late. I've had seeds germinate in late July.

o

way, way, way to early to give up. 10 years experience tells me that one can consider giving up, in your zone, at the end of June.
Even then, surprises do germinate when you least expect them.

My vesuvius jut germinated yesterday, and columbine is famous for taking a long time to germinate.

Your other seeds, I've never sown, but don't give up now. you have more than a month to go before "giving up" should be thought about.

o

Tiffy's comments about trades may explain what I've been wondering. I have about 90% of the 30 containers germinated, altho some have only one seedling. These that I got in trade- have not -globe amaranth, coneflower pow-wow, mauve mullein. so 3 out of 5 containers which were planted with things recieved in trade, have not sprouted. I had just concluded they were duds.
but I had not considered that if the seeds are older, they take longer to germinate, so I will wait til June, as has been suggested.
I also suggest, when trading, people note the year of the seed.

o

Thanks, very reassuring! I've been concerned as it's been a very cold and damp spring here, so I'm a bit worried that the seeds are moldy/waterlogged/etc. but I'll be patient til July 1 :)

Re: trades, I have some total holdouts in that arena, but just things that are ideally sown immediately, like bearclaw hellebore, partridgeberry, and scarlet firethorn. Unsurprising that I haven't seen any sprouts in those containers. I agree that trades should indicate year. It's considered courtesy to do so here.
A lot of seeds are fine even if a few years old, but knowing helps me be more patient. :) The folks I traded with mostly did indicate year. But I also figure that there may be some other human error in the mix despite people's best efforts (botched seed harvesting, storage, etc). It's all fun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here