Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I am a tomato killer and it is killing me

Posted by ontheteam 5a-6 (S.Eastern, MA) (rosesarered73@gmail.com) on
Tue, May 6, 14 at 19:47

I WS 21 kinds of toms for a plant sale I run but the weather has not been helping they are just sprouting .... The sale started the 2nd and runs each fri sat sun in May...I expected to be able to sell these the last 2 weeks of the sale...

So I had started 15 other kinds under lights that I was going to sell the 1st 2 weeks of the sale ..and I killed them all somehow..the 2st set I started in Feb I started to soon and the lights cooked the leaves...the 2nd set I started in April got what appeared to be damp off but it-started at the TOP of the plant

So now I have plant sale known for unusual and heirloom tomatoes with no tomatoes and no time to re grow them. I have hit everyone I can think of up for a donation but have gotten no where... Hold me.... I know the WS ones will grow and be beautiful just not in time for me to sell for Children's Hospital this month...in June i will have 30 seedlings I do not need Auughhhhh.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I am a tomato killer and it is killing me

So sorry that happened. Growing under lights can be tricky -- it's one reason I like WS so much, but I know it's not effective if you want nice, big seedlings by early- to mid-May. For next year, do you know anyone with a hot house?

o

for next year *I* will have a greenhouse...but I worry about that learning curve too..

I have contact just about everyone I can think of on this and am not getting anywhere... It's not the end of the world. We will still raise $$..I just hate letting people down

o

Anyone who knows anything about gardening will understand that this has been an unusual season. They'll just need to be satisfied with what you have, or they can grow plastic-tasting hybrids from the big box stores. If they do that, they'll be flocking back to you next year, desperate for a real tomatoe. No worries.

Martha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here