Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pixie_lou

What *MUST* get in the ground?

pixie_lou
10 years ago

I sowed a bunch of perennials in February then broke my wrist in March. I'm still one handed and doing the bare minimum to get by in the garden. So I'm wondering what absolutely has to get in the ground now? Or what can wait until Fall?

I have sprouts for:
Columbine
Bleeding Heart
Mesa Verde Lupine
Painted Daisy
Rudbeckia
Gaillardia
Easter Lilly
Larkspur
Comanche Sunflower
Telekia
Sweet William
Lunaria
Milkweed

Comments (6)

• northerner_on
    10 years ago

What a bummer, Pixie_lou. One of the worst times for that to happen. I wish you a speedy recovery. As for getting things in, I would only put in the annuals, perhaps the Rudbeckia & Sunflower & Painted Daisy. I never have time or space to put in my WS seedlings right away, so I usually leave them for the fall. Right now, I have about 5 containers of perennials winter sown last year, that I sunk in the ground last fall to get them through winter (Gaillardia and Sweet William included). They will go into a bed that I re-did over the last week. I would keep them until fall or even next spring. You may want to keep them in shade to reduce the watering requirements. Get well soon.

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    10 years ago

Sorry about your wrist. From your list it looks like most of your plants are perennials so I'd just leave them for now, maybe repot to bigger containers when your wrist heals then plant out in either the fall or spring. Most of them won't bloom first season anyway. The only one I'm not sure of in that regard is larkspur. I think it's an annual, but I've only ever planted it once -- it resows every year.

Look at the upside -- all of that repotting later this summer will be good physical therapy for your wrist. And I do know how you feel. I broke my ankle last August and was pretty much confined to the couch for three weeks till I could get off crutches and into a boot.It was awful as so many of my tomatoes rotted on the vine. The DH simply refused to see that 24 tomato plants need to be picked every day in August, not just once a week. :)

Hope your recovery is speedy.

Caryl

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. I'm getting my annuals in the ground now. I can plant 10 things a day maximum. Next I'll work on biennials. And Anything in a container I want for summer sowing!

Caryl - I bought my larkspur from the perennial section of the nursery last summer and collected seed. The plant came back so it's perennial. And I totally hear you on the helpfulness of your dog. Mine is the same.

• terrene
    10 years ago

Hi Pixie lou, hope your wrist is getting better. It must be a little overwhelming with lots of sprouts and all the spring gardening and only one hand! Not to mention everything else in life. When I broke my wrist back in June 07 I couldn't do much till later in the summer, but at least all the spring chores were completed and gardening slows down in the summer anyway.

I was thinking that if you want to see any blooms next spring on the lupine, Columbine, Money Plant, or sweet william it's best to get them in the ground fairly early in the season. My experience has been that they don't get big enough to bloom the 2nd year when I planted them out in the fall.

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    10 years ago

Great advice, Terrene. I've wondered why my second-year lupine isn't blooming, now I know. I was planning on keeping my five new ones in cups till fall but I'll clear them a spot now and get them in the ground. Darn, more weeding to give the seedlings a fighting chance. :) (I think the picture might be sideways. I'm not sure how to fix that.)

• ladyrose65
    10 years ago

I have a torn Meniscus, I've only planted 5 containers. Some of my plants are blooming in the containers. Best of wishes with your hand.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting