Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
countrycarolyn

I am back!!!

countrycarolyn
11 years ago

Ha Ha, last year was a horrible gardening season. I got hit with thrips so bad that it knocked out three beds. I didn't dare want to trade or give away anything. Heck I didn't save a seed one scared I would carry the little critter in the chaff.

This year I am back, I have bloomers but not picture worthy. Sorry, actually you can thank me cause you would be scared. They are recovering nicely. Though they have been neglected some. Well some is actually an understatement, but I will get there.

I had to hit the forums to get some encouragement. I want to see some pictures. Show me your beautiful beds. Show me your beautiful wintersown babies. Show me your lovelies!! Make me jealous with all of your lovely pictures. Hopefully by the end of the season I can have a few pictures to share with you guys as well. :)

Oh and ps, I am already saving containers for 2012/2013. I scored a nice flat the other day. Who says 7 months is to early? LOL

Comments (10)

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

Glad to hear you are back. You are missed!

• beachgrub
    11 years ago

Welcome back! I'm a newbie this year but have read many of your posts and advice to others and am glad you've returned with all your knowledge and enthusiasm! ;) I don't know what thrips is but it sounds devastating. Glad you're recovering nicely! No pics from me, sorry i'm computer illiterate and don't know the first thing about downloading anything. I should really learn that, huh? :p

• countrycarolyn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you beachgrub!! Thrips are something I have never seen before and I will be happy if I never see them again. Horrid little critter.

Yes you should learn about the pictures, it is very easy to do. I know there are several threads about how to post pictures. I will try and do some digging to bump it for you.

Pictures are great. I love all photos. Seedlings pictures, jug pictures after seeds are first sown. Snow covered jugs. I love all pictures especially bloomers. Pictures bring me encouragement and gets me excited about gardening. :)

Welcome to gardenweb also, a lot of great folks on the forums with a lot of great information. :)

• countrycarolyn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Found a link for you beachgrub!! Hope it works. I posted it in the optinal link box.

I found a picture to share with you guys also. It is from this spring and my daughters picture is actually better than mine. She was able to catch the humming bird moth's wings in mid flutter.

This is woodland phlox or phlox divartica or some call it wild blue phlox. Smells wonderful!!

{{gwi:393818}}

Here is a link that might be useful: How to post pictures to gardenweb.

• countrycarolyn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry to hit this thread again but I just took this picture and couldn't resist posting it.

This is my perennial petunia and balloon flower. The petunia is just starting to get buds and the balloon flower just started to bloom. Both wintersown 2010/2011.

The brown in the top is where my phlox went to seed. Sorry folks another year of failure capturing the seed.

{{gwi:393820}}

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

It looks nice and soft! You want to touch it! Very Nice!

• terrene
    11 years ago

Hi CC, nice to "see" you! Sorry to hear you've had such a challenging time with the gardens. Mine are doing pretty well this year so far, although there are lots of slugs and earwigs already going to work. I am considering putting out some earwig traps I read about on GW somewhere and for the slugs I use a diluted ammonia solution.

Your Phlox divaricata looks great. I had one patch that was not winter-sown that looked beautiful this year, but the ones that were ws'd got munched on by deer! Odd that they were the only plants in the whole bed, and they were munched on repeatedly.

• pippi21
    11 years ago

What is the difference in woodland phlox vs creeping phlox? From the photo, the flower looks so similar to Emerald Blue creeping phlox..is the foliage similar or different?

• countrycarolyn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Creeping phlox I have seen be evergreen in some areas. Woodland will die back and while setting seed it is prone to powdery mildew a major hair cut is needed soon after seed set. It blooms pretty early in the season like the woodland phlox. Creeping phlox usually gets to a height of maybe 4 to 6 inches where as woodland gets to maybe 2 to 3 feet. The blooms on the woodland are maybe an inch to two inches in diameter where as the creeping phlox maybe half an inch in diameter.

This phlox shown here is a native species. Here in tennessee the old timers call it sweet william. Most of us call dianthus sweet william, lol. I always laughed at the hubs when he called this plant sweet william.

Both phlox's have a beautiful lovely aroma. The native phlox will reseed where as most not all but most creeping phlox are hybrid and they do not set seed. :(

• countrycarolyn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh another difference is that woodland phlox actually likes shade. Where as creeping or even tall phlox love sun. :)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?