Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladygladys

Anyone Have A Pic of Gaillardia Seedling

ladygladys
9 years ago

Hi all! Does anyone have a clear picture of a gaillardia seedling? I've checked online and all the pics are pretty crappy.

It appears my gaillardia kicked the bucket this year and I am trying to distinguish some seedlings near the dead plant. I think I mostly just have cornflower seedlings and weeds. A pic of anyone's gaillardia seedling would help immensely!

Gladys

Comments (11)

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    9 years ago

Here is one set....though, these are not how mine normally look I will post other pics.

This post was edited by carolinaflowerlover on Fri, May 9, 14 at 8:38

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    9 years ago

This is how mine normally look. I hope you find seedlings!

• ladygladys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much, carolinaflowerlover! I will upload to my phone and compare it to the seedlings I have. The top pic looks very different. Is it a different cultivator? Do you have a picture of the second ones at a younger stage?

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    9 years ago

Yeah, that first one is weird. There are definitely blanketflower seeds in that jug, but it is just odd. Maybe a stray seed got in there. Lol I will check, but I think I have none younger. The seedlings are fuzzy, if that helps. :)

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    9 years ago

Well, it must be blanketflower. I put up another pic. Weird. Really, though, they are more likely to look like the second pic...elongated fuzzy leaves. :) I will look outside in the next day or two. If you are able to enlarge the second pic, there is a small one in there. :) I wonder if it does not live long, as I also lost my blanketflower (I think the odd seedlings are its babies). It was a gorgeous flower!

This post was edited by carolinaflowerlover on Fri, May 9, 14 at 8:32

• vera_eastern_wa
    9 years ago

The first pic is clover and I see at least 5 clover seedlings in that last pic carolinaflowerlover. The 2nd is definitely Blanket Flower :)

Vera

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    9 years ago

Thanks, Vera. I thought it looked like clover, but it ended up in two different pots, so I was a bit confused. Good to know! I removed those images and kept the good one. :) Sorry, Lady!

• ladygladys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Carolina, thank you so much again for the seedling pics! Unfortunately mine did not reseed :( seedlings appear to be bachelor buttons and weeds. I just bought some gaillardia plugs for only $2.19 from a local greenhouse. I also spring sowed some gaillardia seeds because I am going to treat them as biennials since they seem to die after 2 years.

Good news is around the same area the dead gaillardia is located are 4-5 reseeded cosmos! I have never had them do that before!

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    9 years ago

Awww Sorry to hear about no seedlings...but the plugs sounds like a great deal! I am glad to hear about the cosmos, too. I love cosmos. :) I am realizing I need to replant every year for a few years....my best one from last year died. :( I think one came back, though. (crossing fingers)

• nattydoll
    9 years ago

These are apparently good for summer sowing, see the link below, and keep trying :)

I sowed these indoors on June 19th, and they took 4-5 days to germinate. When the seedlings first popped up, the center leaf was the same length as the two on the sides, staying close to the soil, very fuzzy, but only in the center.

I experimented with different things I read online: two dry seeds, one seed that had been soaked overnight, and one that was soaked and then chilled in the fridge for a few days (to make it think it had gone through the winter season).

The only successful seeds were the plain dry ones! ha. I have also scattered several in diff parts of my lawn, with varying levels of sun and water. Granted, the seedlings look like weeds, but I haven't spotted any outside.

I'm going to transplant one of these. Wish me luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Old thread on Summer Sowing Gaillardia

• ladygladys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much nattydoll! I will summer sow some of these tomorrow since the spring sown ones were a bust. I will keep a copy of your seedlings for future reference as well!

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz