Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I've got growth!

Posted by LizinElizabeth 5 (lizbest1@aol.com) on
Sun, May 5, 13 at 20:45

Watered my containers today and had around 50 with some growth! Still just teeny tiny but I was beginning to doubt......Now we just need some real spring weather here in CO instead of snow every week so more will sprout! Ended up with around 450 containers (30 more sown after May1) so I'm still barely at 10% germination right now but we haven't had any nights even in the 40s yet, more sprouts to come....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I've got growth!

Congrats. Hope spring comes your way soon. We just started warming up here a couple of weeks ago, and it's still in the 40s most nights. My tomatoes don't like it -- only a few have formed true leaves even though they sprouted a month ago.

o

• Posted by nan-6161 Zone 7 Long Island, (My Page) on
    Wed, May 8, 13 at 22:48

Liz - -450 containers will be A LOT of plants to get in the ground! You must be so excited but I caution you not to spend too much time admiring your darlings as they appear (and they will!!) but instead use this too cold spring to make sure your beds are ready for the massive plant out.

Ask me how I got this wise :)

I love watching the sprouts pop up much better than raking, weeding and edging!)

o

Congrats on finally getting sprouts! As I recall, you were the individual winner in the container count with 420 containers.

I agree with Nan, my winter-sowing eyes were always bigger than the garden beds I had ready for all those seedlings. At first you want to save every sprout, but then you learn to be ruthless, cull the weak ones, plunk and run, expect a certain mortality out in the garden (lack of water, slugs, or poor genetics). And occasionally a container or 2 never got planted.

WSing makes it easy to grow more though. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here