Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

Photos of my wintersown sprouts (Lots of pics)

highalttransplant
15 years ago

I don't have anything blooming yet, but I got some pictures today of things that have been planted out.

Here is my herb planter with dill, cilantro, and marjoram:

{{gwi:394403}}

{{gwi:394404}}

{{gwi:394405}}

Gazania and petunias in a pot together:

{{gwi:394406}}

{{gwi:394407}}

Verbena sprouts:

{{gwi:394408}}

In the veggie patch,

Broccoli:

{{gwi:394409}}

Lettuces - Jericho, New Red Fire, Buttercrunch, Parris Island Cos, and Black Seeded Simpson:

{{gwi:394410}}

{{gwi:394411}}

{{gwi:394412}}

{{gwi:394413}}

{{gwi:394414}}

Belamcanda chinensis:

{{gwi:394415}}

Dianthus knappii:

{{gwi:394416}}

These are from last years wintersowing

Gaillardia 'Burgandy':

{{gwi:394417}}

Shasta daisy 'Alaska'

Asclepias tuberosa 'Gay Butterflies'

What a difference a year makes!

This is one of the last things left to plant out (other than the tomatoes and basils),

Zinnia 'Profusion Apricot':

Thank you for taking a look!

Bonnie

Comments (14)

• shasta_2008
    15 years ago

Nice plants Bonnie, you'll have to keep us posted as they grow. Your lettuce is making me hungry!

• carrie630
    15 years ago

Those were fantastic photos of seedlings. It sure does help newbies (and oldies who hadn't sown what you've pictured...) I found it very helpful and so glad you labeled everything.

Thanks, again

Carrie

• paulan70
    15 years ago

Nice babies. Good job.

Paula

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

Such nice looking babies! I agree the lettuce did make my tummy growl too! :)

• terrene
    15 years ago

Great pics! Your sprouts look beautiful! Your lettuce does look tasty - now I kinda wish I'd sowed some...

Did you wintersow your herbs right in the planter? The only herb I've planted out so far is Dill - for the Swallowtails - and it's doing great. Doesn't that get really tall? I would think it might overwhelm the other herbs and the planter.

Cilantro is a prolific reseeder in my garden - I planted it once 4 years ago and will never have to again! But I think the delicate little white flower look pretty in amongst the perennials, so I let them go to seed. :)

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks guys!

Terrene, I wintersowed the herbs in 2L bottles and transplanted them to the planter. I think there are a couple different kinds of dill, mine is not the Mammoth, which is the one that gets really big. Last year, my cilantro kept bolting before it was big enough to harvest any. I'm hoping it does better on the porch, where it doesn't get as many hours of full sun each day. Maybe I should sow some in the herb garden, though I am trying to save that area for the perennial herbs, since I am so limited on space.

I just planted out 4 kinds of basil today, some in the veggie garden, and some in pots on the porch. Going to see which ones do better. All of my mints are also in a pot on the porch, and the rosemary and an extra clump of oregano (the rest is in the herb garden). Come to think of it, there are a LOT of pots on my porch, LOL!

Happy gardening everyone!
    Bonnie

• vera_eastern_wa
    15 years ago

Beautiful close ups Bonnie!

Your Gaillardia aristata 'Burgundy' or Gaillardia x grandiflora 'Burgundy' doesn't look like any Gaillardia leaves I've ever seen..hmmmm. The leaves are not that cut on either 'Burgundy' Gaillardia.

Here is a pic of my Gaillardia aristata 'Burgundy' leaves
    {{gwi:394545}}
    {{gwi:394547}}
    {{gwi:394549}}

• medontdo
    15 years ago

yes yours looks like....mmmma daisy?? i know i seen it a few minutes ago. LL

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hmmmm..... The seeds came from T & M, Gaillardia grandiflora 'Burgandy'. The leaves were more like yours when it first came up, but the newer growth is what you see now. I have 5 different plants, two that I wintersowed, 2 from Park Seeds wholesale plants division, and one from a local nursery going out of business. They all have similar serrated leaf edges. It will be interesting to see what they all look like in bloom. Of course I will post more pictures then.

Bonnie

• vera_eastern_wa
    15 years ago

Here's a pic of the mature foliage on another cultivar of Gaillardia x grandiflora....notice the foliage is NOT very cut and the slight cut ones are totally different than the shape and cut of your which are VERY deep and rounded.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:394400}}

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I went back and looked at pictures of 'Goblin', and the foliage was more like the ones in your pictures. So this morning I went out and took pictures of the 'Burgandy' that I bought at a local nursery. There are a few smooth leaves mixed in with the serrated ones, but you can see that this one is very similar to the other one that I grew from seed. This one has a couple of buds on it, so we will know if it is really 'Burgandy' very soon. I also have 'Oranges and Lemons', which I couldn't find any good photos of, but I'll try and get a couple later today.

{{gwi:394551}}

{{gwi:394552}}

Gotta run,
    Bonnie

• vera_eastern_wa
    15 years ago

I've done a lot of google searching for Gaillardia x grandiflora and foliage and still don't find leaves quite as lobed as yours. How WEIRD LOL!
    It's like your plants foliage mutated into something pretty different for Gaillardia...hmmmm...like a cross between Gaillardia and Knautia leaves :O

Try a google image search and see if you can find foliage like yours....I can't.

Vera

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Images~Gaillardia x grandiflora

• medontdo
    15 years ago

actually bonnie, yours looks like my "danish cross" i have tons of them that i got in a trade, and i have no idea what they look like. LOL

• kqcrna
    15 years ago

My burgundy one has both kinds of leaves- some are smooth edged, some deeply lobed along the edges. I'll try to take a pic when the weather's a little nicer and brighter.

Last year my goblin had both types, too. So does my friend's goblin.

Karen

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer