Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aliska12000

I think this is Sweet William, is it? And a couple more pics.

aliska12000
12 years ago

I compared these to some on the web and am not sure. The reddish could be due to being so close to the north side of the house and most fallen over. I doubt they're meant to trail like that lol. I don't want to cut too much back and ruin them though.

I transplanted them into fresh cups where the roots can go deeper and want to know if you think I should cut them back as these will never grow straight and tall like SW should. A few look ok as is.

{{gwi:394560}}

The other photo I posted on my "failures or are they thread" so won't repost, got positive id for for bluebells, actually not the Jack in the Pulpits. These are my baby raspberry plants, found another one some time later which is probably why it's smaller, doubles in some, moved into more sun, also repotted these into fresh cups (two winters the old ones split down the sides letting the soil run out by at least half). I'm so happy with them. I don't know what the other stuff can be, but I'll leave them alone for now.

{{gwi:394561}}

This will show how the cups crack a second winter, haven't repotted them yet, may just plant out as is. I think they might be Celandine poppies and true leaves won't show for awhile. Or they are something else nobody will be able to tell at this stage. They look to me like flower seedlings of some kind, and they may not all be the same. I've got more flats out there with unknown stuff, won't bother folks (or myself to take more pictures) for now.

{{gwi:394562}}

Here's my rhubarb I'm so happy with. I know no big deal to some. Again I've moved them out from the north of the house to get more sun, and the leaves are starting to look better. That other stuff looks like junk to me, containers are marked rhubarb.

{{gwi:394563}}

Finally, I know what this is, lamium, rode in on a cimifuga my sister gave me. I can tell it's invasive but would be a great ground cover on the north side of the garage where I don't want to have to spend too much time maintaining. I thought the yellow blooms are pretty which is why I grabbed this shot. It's easy enough to rip out if it gets where you don't want it. I saw my neighbor potting a bunch of it, grows in deep shade at her place, and I wonder the easiest way to propagate more if anybody knows.

{{gwi:394564}}

Enough for today. You can see traces of a much bigger mess that needs cleaning out. I can only yank so much of that pesky grass and would rather not mess with more Grass b Gone but might. Thought I'd smother what I don't want with magazines, cardboard and staple down or pile mulch on. I wish I could afford to hire a part-time gardener, would make it more enjoyable for me, can't always have what we want, can we? Be thankful to have what you have these days.

Comments (6)

• countrycarolyn
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Very nice!! That looks like dianthus barbatus to me!! When mine get leggy like that I just bury it all the way up, ha sometimes I don't even try to dig a hole I just take my finger and press on the not so attractive part and shove it in the dirt and cover. Mine flop like that first of spring after I shove that part in the dirt they look just nice and healthy till the next spring, they are evergreen here.

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

I agree with Carolyn, they look like dianthus. Keep the sprouts picts.

By the way, where you get raspberry seeds?

• northerner_on
    12 years ago

I just posted a message and got a strange error and the post was lost.
    I agree that they are Sweet William and mine seem to flop in the early sprng. Then they straighten up when they're about to bloom.
    Please get that lamium out of your garden. On the advice of a class given by a local nursery, I came home with one plant and planted it under my apple tree on the north side of my lot. After those first blooms it took over. They spread by seed, underground and overground roots and get into everything. For several years, I have gone out and ripped it all in the spring before the hostas fill out, but they always find a way to return. And the roots are stubborn. They are finally into the lawn so we are having them sprayed this year. I have two other forms of lamium, with white or pink flowers, and several types of variegated leaves. They are 'softer' than the yellow, and look beautiful crawling over rocks and low walls. They tolderate sun and shade.
    Hope you continue to have fun with your adventure!!

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

countrycarolyn: I won't give them a haircut then and leave well enough alone. The main thing is to get them planted, will give them a month for the roots to work on down although it sounds like they're tough and could just have stuck them in the ground without repotting.

ladyrose65: You confirmed the dianthus, too. Where did I get the raspberry seeds? I've been all over everything, search engine here, google advanced, my old computer fired up twice and got into my mail but it hangs now. I can't post real names and didn't find the raspberry trade, know it was somebody on this forum. In my mail I did find mastergardner2003 but she sent me the currants; I found conniejw who designed that beautiful space in front of my garage with some special software she has. I know it wasn't they. This name sticks in my mind of having corresponded with, brandmulvaine. It might have been she but I couldn't find the trade emails. Also I traded with Carol (hosta) but know it wasn't raspberries. It will be prob 3 yrs before I get any seeds. Was going to buy some at amazon but they wanted $9.95. But I'll post a link where the plants are much cheaper because I might have bought from there if I hadn't found mine.

Oh yes, I'll keep the sprout pics and may take more later if they look promising.

northerner_on: Strange error, not so much here but what I went through trying to find that raspberry exchange. I'm not sure I sent anything in return; if I did it might have been alyssum and lupines I had a ton of that I bought.

Now the lamium, that is not a pleasant prospect because my yard is a total mess. It's already worked it's way through that small garden space and may smother some of my plants and working north into a bare spot. I've got a terrible invasive behind the garage and want to cover the fern and do roundup on the whole mess. Then I'd like the lamium there if I knew how to transplant it. Evidently it roots easily, grows a ways, puts down roots, then more with more roots is how it travels.

Yes I have two other lamiums, one variegated and one plain, I think, with pink flowers. They haven't been such a problem at all. I just ripped them back a little when they were threatening my new brunera, have had several years now, haven't gotten into the lawn, seem to want to move toward more shade.

So thanks so much everyone for the help and advice. Now the hard part. Getting them in the ground in the right places. My backyard is pockmarked from tree chunks falling last summer, and I shouldn't even walk in it but do very carefully. Am 69 and fell when the lawn guys were here but easy fall. The tree people last year wanted $800 to fill the holes, nothing doing after spending $3000 to have the tree taken down which was cheap for that. One of the best tree companies wanted $10,000 included stump removal, no way. but if I break something, maybe I'd better get some topsoil and pay somebody to fill them in.

I want to be able to enjoy this again without all this other stuff to mess with, and just because things are difficult now, I don't want to give in to a sense of futility.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bristol Raspberry Plants

• pippi21
    12 years ago

Did you plant blue flax? The white basket that has 4 or 5 liter soda bottles. Could some of those been Heuchera?(coral bells) One of the things that I will do differently in 2012 is make sure I number both top and bottom portions and even write the name on both parts..this would have probably helped you but I'm really sorry that this happened to you. Did the tree fall on your house or the garage? It sure seems like we've really been having wierd weather patterns this year. Here we had a wet spring and we had an inch of rain last night and more tonight, along with thunder. All this week is supposed to be similar. Ugg!

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes it took down the apple tree with it which landed on the house. Thot no damage but daughter noticed inside wall separated from the ceiling from the impact. Was so stressed didn't think I had enough for ins claim.

First 3 are the initial damage from the limb that came down, and it just seemed like a gust of wind, no bad storm, was out there barely 5 minutes before checking my garden right where the limb came down.

Months later, I call the ins co, was only thinking when I got the line to house fixed and new pole, it wasn't worth a claim w/the deductible. Well, because I had pictures, State Farm sent an adjustor up and settled for a little over $1000 for the bird feeder, getting the first part chipped, resetting the arbor, and damage in the kitchen. Nothing for my new cherry tree and other damage, I was glad to get what I got at that point.

I'm still sad over losing that tree, just a common one but I know it will sound strange, I loved it and kept putting off the inevitable. No damage to the garage except when that huge part fell from the cutters, it must have hit so hard it raised the concrete floor so door is jammed now but if I push real hard, I can get it most of the way open to get at stuff.

That's a good idea to write on both parts, I WILL remember that. No heuchera and no blue flax. The weather is definitely weird, cold, rainy. Just awful what those people are going through south of me, so much tragedy for so many this year.

I just got Photoshop CS5 up and going yesterday, but used iPhoto thinking to save time. It didn't, automatically uploads to flickr if I let it. I did. Then copy and paste all that code.

You can see from the few photos I posted how stressful it must have been getting it all taken care of, and combined with a lengthy legal battle with a relative I never expected, I still trying to get over all of it.

{{gwi:394565}}

{{gwi:394566}}

{{gwi:394567}}

{{gwi:394570}}

{{gwi:394572}}

{{gwi:394574}}