Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladyrose65

Plants I cannot seem to WS?

ladyrose65
10 years ago

I give up! I cannot seem to grow any type of Salvia, Gaillardia Lavender or Bells of Ireland. I tried presoaking. I put pea innoculant on them. I get no germination. I purchased seeds from all types of companies. I've decided to leave the jugs until next year in the summer and see what happens. I've spent a small fortune on Salvia seeds.

What do you have a hard time WSing?

Comments (20)

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    10 years ago

Phlox will not germinate for me this year or most years. I've sown two containers of it already, one in Feb. and another just a few weeks ago. Nothing. And that's annual phlox, seeds were new last year. My SIL said she'll dig me up some of her wild, perennial phlox. That's prettier anyway and will suit the garden quite well.

Did you give up on the Bells already? One of mine came up in early April or late March. Five others came up about a month later so it might be a slow germinator. Also, three containers of Delphinium plus a fourth that I sowed two weeks ago with new seed have shown no signs of life. I'm giving the last one a couple more weeks since the pack says 21 days or more for germination.

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    10 years ago

ladyrose, I'm surprised you have difficulty with Salvia, unless it depends on the variety.
    For me, salvia is one of the most reliable germinators- I've done annual and perenniel. altho it's odd that my own seeds, which were 2 years old, germinated better than the store bought 2013 Ferry Morse seeds. the F-M seeds did ok, but my own did better.

what kind of Salvia are you trying to grow?

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

Where's PVick, my partner in winter-sowing-woe? Say it together with me, PV: Kiss-me-over-the-garden-gate!!!

This really is the one thing I can't WS. Never had a single seed germinate. Although this year, I've had such terrible germination that I could add many things to the list. But one year's failure, IMO, does not put things on the list. There's always next year... except most likely for KMOTGG!

:)
    Dee

• terrene
    10 years ago

I've never gotten any of the western Agastaches to sprout, but when I shared seed with others on this forum or on the Seed Exchange, the seeds would sprout for them with no problem!

Polemonium reptans has never sprouted for me and I've tried for at least 3 wsing years.

Virginia Bluebells - Mertensia virginica - sprouts sometimes - haven't gotten a single one this year, but usually get at least 1 or 2 in any given year. LOVE this plant it is one of the most beautiful native flowers, but it's a stingy with sprouts (for me).

I'm working on trees and shrubs - getting them to germinate is half the battle, you have to nurture these babies so they make it past the first few years! Only the strongest survive. :)

• ladyrose65
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, I went outside and pulled back all the tops off the containers and "Woe is me..."? I got Bells of Ireland Sprouts! I've tried for 3 seasons no luck.

I got 3 salvia sprouts out of 5 containers.

Ellenr: list of Salvias: Salvia Farcinea, Summer Jewel, Yvonne's Salvia, Whopper House, Lambs Ear, Forrest Fire & Coral Nymph.

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    10 years ago

Ladyrose, so glad your bells came up. It must be one that needs the warm weather. My early one is ready to go out since it's got nice true leaves. Waiting on it's jug companions that are just starting to develop them. We're getting into the 80s this week so I'm hoping everything takes off.

As for salvia, I put a container out a few weeks ago. I'm not sure if it's sprouting yet because I've got two kinds of sprouts in there, at least one of which I'm pretty sure is a weed.

Has anyone done red hot poker? Also sowed three weeks ago and it looks like two sprouts are just beginning to poke through. Does it look like a tiny blade of grass when it first comes up?

Caryl

• terrene
    10 years ago

Congrats on your Bells of Ireland sprouts Ladyrose!

This year I got a couple sprouts that failed to sprout in previous years. Monarda 'Bergamo' didn't sprout for me 2 years ago, but it sprouted great this year. Also, I got a couple Viola pedata sprouts this year! Tried for 2 years, no luck.

I guess you never know! Try, try, again. :)

10 years ago

ladyrose,
    yvonne's salvia, which a W-S'er sent me seeds, sprouted a few.
    the Ferry-Morse seeds - which did ok, are salvia blue bedder perennial.
    the other ones that I got from my plants - I don't know the variety. But the plants are blue, and perennial, and unlike the bedder they grow in single plants. very nice. Let me know at the end of the season if you want me to send you some seeds from these.

• jvdubb
    10 years ago

I was able to get three KMOGG sprouts. I was growing them for my mom.

I am having trouble with Celosia Red Plume, and another Celosia I can't think of the name. Also, Astrantia. I had heard they are difficult so I expected not to get any sprouts.

No problems with Gaillardia. However, I only got a few of each kind on the first round. I did some beginning of May and have tons of sprouts from those.

• ladyrose65
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Terene, Thank You. I can't get Monarda to sprout either. I requested a rooted cutting on the plant exchange site and Facebook.

Carlytoo, Thank You. I traded my Red Poker seed pack. I don't have the room for them. I have a small plott.

Ellenr, I will take you up on the salvia offer. I will ask you in the Fall for rooted cuttings.

Jvdubb, Celosia like hot weather, find the thickest container (Juice bottle) and sprinkle them very lightly, keep in full hot sun. I also do this with Coleus works well.

10 years ago

I THINK I have a few red gaillardia seeds sprouting.
    but at this point it could be weeds! or something else, as I re-use soil.

• duane456
    10 years ago

ladyrose---
    salvia needs light to germinate. Do you sow seeds right on top of the soil? I also mist them with water occasionally. Many salvia need temps to be fairly warm to germinate, also. I've had pretty good luck with just surface sowing and misting them.

• ladyrose65
    Original Author
    10 years ago

duane, I have placed the seeds on top. It's starting to get into the 80's maybe more will sprout.

• ponyexpress_1
    10 years ago

Ladyrose, I also had hard time with my Salvia summer jewel. I WS'd them in December and then again at the end of Feb or beginning or April. The December sowed didn't germinate. The later ones did. Try sowing them later in the winter or early spring. The funny thing is, I have had these self sow in my garden.

10 years ago

Hi Lady rose,
    I can't send cuttings, don't know how, and not sure I will want to give up any plants. But definitely ask me for seeds.

ellen

• drippy
    10 years ago

Diggerdee, I agree this has been a poorer year than usual for germination - and we had an extended winter season, too. Too much rain, perhaps? But as always, I planted so many containers that I will still be planting out until December. So why am I sowing even more??? :D

• silverkelt
    10 years ago

I didnt do that many this year, mostly common annuals I normally would do anyways, but I didnt have any failiures at all, 100% germination for me, all commercial seed as well.

I know in the past, regardless of where I get them, I barely ever get any larkspur or salvia, Salvia however I learned grows great under lights, so the few times I did them , I just potted them up late in the season on the heating mat and they did very well.. they also barely need hardening off, so no issues there either.

Celosia is another hard one and kmotgg are both terrible here to try.

I keep going back to larkspur, probably tried 20 different jugs over the years and got a measly 4-5 plants out of that... Ive given up on them completely.

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    10 years ago

Larkspur is invasive for me. I grew it years ago and put it in front of a picket fence outside one of my veggie gardens. It has resown every year and comes up in every bare spot it can find inside the fence, too. I have to pull it like a weed. It's pretty when it blooms, but it is the only plant that resows itself so easily in my yard.

• taterbug
    10 years ago

I have not been able to WS Black Foot Daisy, Four Nerve, Agapanthus. I'm curious to know if others have had success with these.

Never had trouble with salvias-sorry it's been difficult for you.
    taterbug

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    10 years ago

To anyone thinking of sending seedlings, it's pretty easy. Wrap the roots in wet paper towels then stick them in a plastic baggie or wrap in saran wrap. Put them in a small box and mail. I sent some tomatoes to a ws who had lost hers to a late frost a few years ago and they made it through.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm