Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheltieche

Re: fall plant/ seed swap Chicago area

sheltieche
14 years ago

Re: fall swap

I work every other weekend so Sat Sept 26 works well for me. I do not think plants settle well after Sep so Oct swap might be problematic for plants establishing themselves IMHO

We could either do Sat 10-12 am or any of the Fridays of the month 5- 7 pm if more convenient for everyone. I like Fridays for the reason that they leave person all rest of weekend to play with but driving might be better on Sat.

I would be happy to have it at my house if it ok with everyone as it would be nice to show off my fall garden, which is different from what you have seen but if anyone has different ideas I am open.

Comments (85)

• jas_il
    14 years ago

I would like these plants/bulb during fall swap if anybody has.
    Asiatic/Oriental lily
    perennial poppy
    Allium globe master
    Bromeliad
    Rosemary herb
    geranium Bill Wallis

Jasmine

• october17
    14 years ago

Thank you pit! I'd love to try a cutting from your mock orange.

I'll try to post a pic of the catchfly. It's a very dainty looking grass. I think the marker is a piece of a white miniblind. I don't think it was from you stage rat, because, I think, it showed up later in the day. But, the way my memory has been shorting out, who knows!

I cant wait for the fall swap! I have some things I'd love to get seeds from and bring them!

• sheltieche
    Original Author
    14 years ago

October
    I do not think any catchfly has that grassy foliage, it is actally could be grass ie. I remember having couple of different grassess like eragostis Wild Dancer,
    Jasmine
    I have tons of geranium pyrenaicum Bill Wallis, white and purple ones

• bellarosa
    14 years ago

Can I come too? I grew up in Chicago, but I live in the NW suburbs now. I can bring a few plants - coneflowers, daylilies, helianthus. Where is the swap and what time is it at?

• sheltieche
    Original Author
    14 years ago

oh, goody, more people to come! Welcome!
    Sep 12, which is Sat, at Skokie, 10am -12pm
    email me for address or additional questions

• jas_il
    14 years ago

Ellen,

Thanks for Geranium bill wallis. I would like both white and purple. Is it perenniel? How big it gets. I have planted varigated mint for you.

• sheltieche
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jasmine,
    Geranium pyrenaicum gets about 2x3 at its best but it is very airy so it is possible to grow it over other plants. I treat it as annual, once it lessens bloom I cut it down to the ground. Sometimes it is perennial sometimes it is annual, it does reseeds well so you will have it forever if you let it. I think it is very important geranium in my garden as it blooms for about 6 weeks spring to early summer with no care. I like to plant it over hostas, by the time hostas in full glory, GP is done. Also I like it with geranium Nimbus which blooms June to the end of July, this one unfortunately sterile hybrid. Am thinking of adding to the site couple of Rozanne to let it take over for the rest of the summer bloom- there would be spot where nothing but geraniums takes care of blooms from early spring to fall.

• susan926
    14 years ago

I am so bummed out.....I just read the thread and checked my calendar to add the date:((

We have a wedding in Detroit that weekend and I will be unable to attend.... I so wanted to see everyone boo hoo

• stage_rat
    14 years ago

Susan, it would have been so nice to see you! I hope you have a nice time in Michigan.

Does anyone in this group grow a pink or purple Candy Lily? (pardancanda). I so, so so want seeds. Or a plant, but seeds would be fine. I have the orange candy lily, and I have blackberry lily (darker orange, speckled). I want the pink and purple!

• pitimpinai
    14 years ago

Hey, hey, hey, I'm back. Missed you folks since my last posting.

Anyway, Jasmine I have a lot of Lilies. Will bring you some - ones that I think I can part with. lol
    Got Allium Globe Master too but you'll get any from me only in your dream. Ha ha ha :-P Cuz' I love this Allium. It gets smaller as the years go by anyway. Mine are only half the size of the originals.

• jas_il
    14 years ago

Ellen, thanks for the info about geranium.

Mone,
    Thanks a lot for lilies. That would be great. Yes for allium I can dream right now till you change your mind. :) just kidding. If it is getting smaller then you might need new ones too.

I think you will be bringing creeping phlox too right?

I got allium purple drumstick seeds but it does not look sprouting so far. Not sure if it is worth to grow them from seeds since it takes 4-5 years to see blooms.

• pitimpinai
    14 years ago

Jasmine,

Yeah, I definitely will get more A. Globemaster this fall.
    I got mine from Van Engelen. ThatÂs where you can them at the lowest price. And the bulbs are huge.
    I believe this is just about the most expensive Allium.
    Van Engelen shipped them in its individual box. ThatÂs how much care they lavish on this Allium.

HereÂs the link if you are interested:
    Van Engelen right here .

I have a lot more plants that I can pot up. In fact, I potted up a couple today. I'll pot up more as I go about the garden. They should be well established by October.

:-)

• jas_il
    14 years ago

Mone,

Here is another site which looks cheap but I never bought from them so can't say how their bulbs are.

www.bloomingbulb.com

I am also planting some plants and collecting seeds. :)

• karendee
    14 years ago

I can't wait! I love looking at all the flowers!!

I will pot some items up closer to the date. I won't have much but I will bring what I can.

pitimpinai, your plants so nice! I have some of them blooming now. I love them!! The bee balm is a little sickly looking but I am keeping an eye on it. I am sure it will perk up eventually.

I am excited about this sawap!!
    Karen

Karen

• pitimpinai
    14 years ago

Jasmine,

Bloomingbulb does not get very good rating on the Garden Watchdog.
    I'll stick with Van Engelen. Thanks.

Bloomingbulb on Garden Watchdog

3 Allium ÂGlobemaster for less than $5.00 is highly suspicious. Over the years, I have never seen it less than $5.00 a bulb. It would cost a lot more now since the US dollar is so weak against the Euro and these bulbs come from Holland.
    Before ordering anything, I suggest you check out the company on the Garden Watchdog.
    I always do.

Karen, IÂll give you more Monarda and many other plants at the October swap. I have begun to pot up things and will continue to do so all summer.

Ellen, I am ordering bulbs. Will order extra Brodiaea ÂQueen Fabiola for you.

Looking forward to seeing all of you at the swap.

• karendee
    14 years ago

Thanks Mone!! If you need me to bring some soil for you let me know!! then I will feel better about taking all those lovely plants from you!

Karen

• pitimpinai
    14 years ago

Karen, thanks. A bag of MG potting soil won't hurt. lol. Because that's what I am using now for potting up those plants. Please bring me a bag when you come to the swap.

Much appreciated. Thanks much.

• karendee
    14 years ago

Consider it done...
    Glad to bring the MG soil!!
    Karen

• jas_il
    14 years ago

Mone,
    Thanks for the Garden watchdog link. It's a very good site it does show that bloomingbulb is not a good company.

Swap in October? Where?

• pitimpinai
    14 years ago

September 12 at Ellen's place - just like the last one.
    Look at the discussion above.

• v1rt
    14 years ago

I want to join too but I need some help. Most of the plants I have planted are annuals. The plants that I remember that are perennials are Rud Irish Eyes, Dianthus Firewitch, Lychnis, shasta crazy daisy(blooming now), Agastache Korean, Hollyhock(but only have a few).

I'm hoping I'll be able to fix my schedule too so I can join.

Oh, I have seeds that I harvested like Bachelor Buttons, mixed poppy(red papery flower), safari primrose(very short about 6" tall but doesn't run out of flower and flowers last very long), calendula(yellow flower), coreopsis with yellow center, baby's breath(saw some seeds today).

What are the criterias to be able to join? Sorry, I haven't read the whole thread yet. :P

• pitimpinai
    14 years ago

Just come and bring whatever seeds you have, even gardening books or magazine or tool or whatnot that you don't use.

Bring an empty van too for the loot. lol

• jas_il
    14 years ago

I know about sep 12th swap :)

Now I got it you were talking about sep swap but mistyped it as october.
    -------------
    Karen, IÂll give you more Monarda and many other plants at the October swap.
    They should be well established by October.
    ------------

• pitimpinai
    14 years ago

Sorry, Jasmine. I kept thinking it's in October.

• stage_rat
    14 years ago

Virtuosity, I think the criteria is that you bring something to share. Your seeds or perennial starts count, yummy food counts too! I bring a LOT of stuff, so I don't feel too, too guilty grabbing lots of goodies. Are you going to get Japanese Bloodgrass from your friend? Can you talk him/her into forking over a few clumps? I'd love to try it.

And Pitimpinai likes composted horse manure and Miracle-Gro mix. I'm going to see if I can bring some manure, I need to check my sources for properly aged stuff.

Lindalana, remember the "mystery plant" with the square stem, at the house with the orange gladioli? My mom has it all over the wild part of her yard. If you want some, I can get it. I guess we should get it IDed first :)

Does anyone want small pots? They're about 3 or 4" across, I have a lot of them. I think even the 4" are too small for WS, because this winter I fitted them with my extra 2-liter caps, and they dried out awfully fast. But if anyone wants them for another purpose, let me know!

• karendee
    14 years ago

I am getting excited!!! I guess I can bring some yummy food too. I forgot about that.
    Karen

• sheltieche
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I feel that what brought for swap could be left for everybody discretion- since it is fall having decent root system is essential for overwintering -bring your extras. Seeds,bulbs, cuttings of easily rooted annuals such as fancy coleus, impatiens or begonia, houseplants could be added to our previous spring assortment of goodies. Of course garden art, tools and such as well as yummy food is always welcome.
    I will be dividing some overgrown perennials this fall and have several seedlings of armenian basket flower, painted daisy, thalictrum several forms, columbines Barlow and Dragonfly series that have been growing since spring which should have enough root system to overwinter properly. Also my impatiens species are doing great so plenty of seeds to share.
    Stagerat, I would like that plant without ID. I still figuring out some stuff in my garden and if it is slightly reseeding one, it is not a problem.

• stage_rat
    14 years ago

Hey,, October17, I could bring an Anise Hyssop plant for you if you want it. The bees love this plant. Kiddo calls hers lavender hyssop, they may be the same or different. And it will reseed a lot :)

• pitimpinai
    14 years ago

Oh, yeah, Neil, a couple largest bags of MG potting soil for me will be much appreciated. Thanks.

• jas_il
    14 years ago

My varigated mint is growing green leaves now. I don't know why. It has minty smell though. Does anybody know what could be the reason?

• pitimpinai
    14 years ago

Probably the sun.

• mnwsgal
    14 years ago

I have enjoyed reading your swap thread. I don't suppose you would consider Minneapolis a suburb of Chicago? ;-)

• pitimpinai
    14 years ago

Bobbie, Would you like to drive down from MN to our fall swap? You'll get to see Ellen's fabulous garden in the process. That is a garden to die for, not to mention the fun at the swap.

• sybilkrizinski
    14 years ago

I think I want to join in too! I live close to Notre Dame. Is anyone coming through that area? Sybil

• mnwsgal
    14 years ago

Thanks, Mone, I would love to come but am planning to be in SD that day taking ws plants to my sister and working in her garden.

Maybe next summer I can come to Chicago and meet some of the WS gang and visit some gardens, including yours and Ellen's.

• pitimpinai
    14 years ago

Yes, Bobbie, Come over next June. With all the fun I had, I am so sorry I missed the ones the previous years. Won't miss it again.

Sybil, yes, come over. I don't think Ellen will mind. Email her for directions to her house. It will be great fun, I guarantee you.

• v1rt
    14 years ago

Am I correct that I am seeing September 12 as the date for the plant swap? Please don't tell me, yes it's the final date.

• karendee
    14 years ago

v1rtu0s1ty yep Sept 12th!

I think anyone willing to make the drive should come. Heck I drove almost 60 miles for the Spring Swap and plan on doing it again for the Fall one.

It was so much fun!!!

I also plan to bring some food since I have less in the plant department.

Karen

• october17
    14 years ago

Stage rat - would love some anise hyssop! I love to watch the bees - and on a real quiet moment - hear the bees!

• v1rt
    14 years ago

Karen,

I won't be able to make it this time since our family will be away starting Sept 11 and will be back in Chicago on the afternoon of 13th. I'm going to miss this wonderful event and most especially the friends. :(

• gonativegal
    14 years ago

I haven't posted for awhile - been pretty busy but I should also be able to make it.

I have to see what I can bring.

• karendee
    14 years ago

v1rtu0s1ty sorry you are missing it!
    Karen

• ggopal
    14 years ago

Hi folks
    Mone (Pitimpinai) wanted me to post this message - she won't be able to come to the swap as she is very sick and is in the hospital right now (and will be for the foreseeable future).
    She doesn't have access to a computer right now, so any messages for her could be posted here and I will convey them. Alternatively you could email me at
    gvsgopal@yahoo.com .

Thanks
    Gopal

• rolrod
    14 years ago

So i've been offline for months now, as I have not gotten into WS yet, but now that Spring is here, I am back on. I had so much fun at last year's, I wonder if there are plans for a Spring 2010 Plant Swap? I'm have more of those perennial sunflowers and heliopsis to give away, as well as loosestrife and hopefully some started caladiums. Thoughts?

-Rolando

• karendee
    14 years ago

I sure would like to go! I loved it last year.

Karen

• sheltieche
    Original Author
    14 years ago

sorry for not hanging on this forum as much as I used to... new puppy seems to be as much time consuming as new baby... am waiting for him to grow a bit so very little WS this year but...
    Memorial day weekend, Friday eve, May 28, 5-7 pm as usual, annual plant swap is coming...

• pitimpinai
    14 years ago

Yeah! I so look forward to the swap. I have already started to pot things up. Will pot up some more once I am done with sowing seeds. I am determined to sow as many as I can this weekend. :-)

• rolrod
    14 years ago

YAY...I'm so excited!

Would it be rude if I started a new thread? Does Lindalana want to start a new thread? I don't want to overstep my bounds. =)

I want to post a list of haves and wants. It's mostly haves this year, I think, but that always changes. ;-)

• s1541
    13 years ago

I'm new to this group, but would love to exchange plants--will there be a spring plant swap this year?

• pitimpinai
    13 years ago

Hi s1541. Welcome to the fun. Yes, there is a spring swap a week from this Friday. It's on Friday before the Memorial Day weekend. Please come. See this thread:
    Spring 2010 Swap