Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter sown brassicas in raised bed - pic.

Posted by nugrdnnut N-C WA 6b (My Page) on
Sun, May 18, 14 at 22:38

The picture shows broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower all winter sown. They are growing phenomenally. I sowed in gallon jugs in january and transplanted the first week of April. To the left side are radishes & peas, and to the right are root crops and lettuce.

I am sold on winter sowing!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter sown brassicas in raised bed - pic.

Beautiful plants! They look yummy.

Do you ever have problems with the Cabbage worm? They're larvae of the cabbage white butterfly, and they lacerate my cruciferous veggies.

o

This is only the second year of growing brassica. Last year was the first and I did have one broccoli (for fall harvest)plant infected with aphids which I sprayed off.

Fortunately, no cabbage worms.

o

They look Good! I'm coming over for dinner!

o

Wow can't wait to try this.... I have some sad seedlings that I have been starting this summer inside and they look pretty sad after all my time with them. I live where it is pretty cool year round. Can't wait to learn this

Here is a link that might be useful: green thumbs and sandy toes

o

Beautiful healthy plants. I hope you have a good harvest. I really like your set-up - that's why you don't suffer from the cabbage worm. The netting keeps the butterflies out. I have a few brassicas - cauliflower under a netted setup but it's not large enough. I was given a couple plants of collard greens which they attacked, then I covered them with pop bottles but that's not enough room for them to grow. I will have to come up with something better for next year. Bon appetit!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here