Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
david883_gw

Are... they... dead? :(

david883
10 years ago

So... I've winter sowed several different seeds as early as February and as late as about 3-4 weeks ago. Among them: lupine russel hybrid, heliopsis, queen cleomes, blue star columbines, lunaria, galladriera, chinese lantern plants, among others (slightly too distraught to think of the others).
Anyway... I had them in milk jugs and tuperwear containers. I had those containers in small "green house" on wheels I picked up from lowes a few months ago. Everything's been doing fine... and by that I mean I had little sprouts on some but nothing on others... but based on the seed information, if they're kept at anywhere from 55-70 degrees they sprout in a given number, I figured they'd start sprouting soon. We just finally hit 70 later last week.

So yesterday, I look at them in the greenhouse and some of the cleomes and lupines are starting to wilt over. Naturally, I panic. We were at like 77 yesterday so I figure it was too hot and too humid and too sunny in the greenhouse. I took them out last night and watered this morning hoping that they'd spring back up by removing them from the greenhouse. Some stayed the same, some got even worse - drying up and shriveling. I know that the dried and shriveled ones are probably dead, but if they're just wilted do you think they'll live? What did I do wrong and is it unrepairable?
I'm totally bummed about it... I was so hoping and looking forward to these, being my first year winter sowing and all.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks again!

Comments (6)

• northerner_on
    10 years ago

My, oh my, I'm so sorry. It seems you totally misundertood the concept of Winter Sowing. The idea is to leave everything to nature. I believe (I'll see what others have to say) that your major mistake was to put them in the greenhouse. In that way, they definitely would have got too hot, especially if you're at 70 already. Once they sprout and it's starting to warm up, it's time to open the containers so they don't fry. With WS, there's no need for a greenhouse. Save that for your tender annuals. I don't know what luck you will have in saving your sprouts, perennials are sometimes very forgiving. I am so sorry your first WSing experience was not favourable. Hope others can give you some concrete advice about saving your seedlings.

• david883
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I knew they'd have to come out once it got warmer... that really warm day really came out of nowhere. I guess I didn't see the harm in putting them in a greenhouse for a while. When it did occur to me it was a little too late. Oye. If nothing has sprouted yet should I take the lids off the containers or keep them on? Hopefully some are salvageable. Total disappointment but.... I know for next year now I guess lol

• ellenrr
    10 years ago

yes, we learn from our mistakes, but sorry - this was a hard lesson!
    Definitely next year do not put yr containers in a greenhouse, if you are wintersowing. In WS they are kept outside all the time.

since you are now beyond danger of frost, I think, leave the covers off.
    Your wilted babies might come back. give them some time and see what happens. Hope you save some.

Hope this doesn't turn you off WS, and that you'll try again next year.

Here a couple of url's for a description of WS. Once you get the hang of it, it is pretty simple.
    http://wintersown.org/wseo1/DirtySC8_WS.html

good luck!

ellen

Here is a link that might be useful: winter sowing description

• molanic
    10 years ago

I wouldn't toss them yet. Often seeds have staggered germination to compensate for weather extremes. Even if the seedlings are dead, there may still be some ungerminated seeds in those containers that will pop when the conditions are right (without the extra greenhouse).

If I'm understanding correctly you made your containers correctly with plenty of ventilation and drainage, but then put the containers inside of a plastic greenhouse that caused them to overheat.

Many people do sow in cups and open topped containers and then set them inside larger container like plastic storage boxes with plenty of ventilation and drainage holes drilled in them. The holes are very important as it should never get much warmer inside the container than out to prevent early germination or frying. Once they sprout they also benefit from some increased airflow. I prop my jugs open a little more with clothespins once they germinate because they are in full sun. My other containers that have plastic sheeting covers get the holes stretched open more or taken off completely. I try to leave them covered somewhat until planting out to protect from late frosts, hard rain, wind, animals, etc.

• silverkelt
    10 years ago

I think you bought the greenhouse not to look crazy =P...

My mom still thinks that I magically buy seedlings to put in containers, the old timer master gardener friends , never have heard of wintersowing.. again think its nuts and not practical or something. I just show them the results, it works, except for rare failures.

Milk Jugs on the lawn... that's how we roll... Wintersowing style!

• ellenrr
    10 years ago

silver,
    yes, every time someone tells me it is crazy, I give them seedlings.. :)

One thing I'm going to try next year, is sowing in small containers like paper cups. (my usual container is bottom half of 1-gallon water jug)
    It'll be more work,and they dry out faster, but I want to get seedlings in smaller clumps.
    It'll be an experiment.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting