Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery seedling I'd

Posted by LittleLithop 4a (My Page) on
Fri, May 10, 13 at 23:09

This is my first year winter sowing and even with the late spring we are having I am very happy with the amount of seedlings I have. I will be doing this every year, it's all very exciting!!! I hope someone can help me id this little mystery seedling I have coming up in a few if my containers. It already has a few leaves so I hope that helps. I didn't think I was that careless with the seeds, but it seems to be coming up next to seedlings that look nothing like it. Could it be a weed from the soil? I bought some cheaper stuff that is working fine. It's the little one to the right. Maybe they stuck to my hands when I was planting because they are all over each container. Thanks for any help!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery seedling I'd

Here it is in the other container next to my lupines so I know it's not intentional. (The two furthest right seedlings)

o

Sorry I can't help id these little plants, but when I need an id I go to the site called 'Name that Plant'. It is on this forum and they are great. Hope this link works:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/namegal/

o

Thank you!

o

Are your containers open? If so I'd bet that they're weeds that blew in. I get a fair number of those once the container is open.

o

The containers are closed but I found out from a more knowledgable person that they are weeds. Stupid cheap soil at menards! Last time I buy that stuff. I'm not even sure what brand but I do remember it was in a red and white bag. Never again will I buy the super cheap junk. It's not even in my open containers but growing (like a weed) in my closed containers I just don't get it!? The conditions must have been just right. Yuck!!!

o

The weeds are hardy, that's for sure. They always seem to be up and thriving well before the perennials break dormancy.

o

The seedling in the top picture looks a lot like Chenopodium album aka Goosefoot.

o

Yeah Flora, I was thinking the same thing....I know it here as Lambsquarters. It's edible green you know :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here