Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

June 2010 Garden

v1rt
13 years ago

Most of the plants shown below were wsown January of 2009. Coronaria didn't flower last year. It's in full bloom now. I have white and magenta flowers. I have 1 Penstemon which came from a GW friend, the other Penstemons were wsown.Some plants came from other gardens such as the violets and purple geranium. Oh, I also have a yellow and pink geranium which also came from another GW friend. I don't have pics yet though. Sundrops came from Plant Swap at Ellen's place.

Anyways, here are the pics taken yesterday and today. Have fun! :D

Oh, I still have other wsown plants that haven't bloomed yet. I have a plant that I need help in ID'ing. I'll post once it blooms.

{{gwi:396671}}

{{gwi:396672}}

{{gwi:396673}}

{{gwi:396674}}

{{gwi:396675}}

{{gwi:396676}}

{{gwi:396677}}

{{gwi:396678}}

{{gwi:396679}}

{{gwi:396680}}

{{gwi:396681}}

{{gwi:396682}}

{{gwi:396683}}

{{gwi:396684}}

{{gwi:396685}}

Comments (28)

• pippi21
    13 years ago

I have rose campion that I wintersowed and I planted the HOS and that's about all it is doing..not growing, should I dig it up and trying seperating more of it? I thought all batchelor buttons are blue like yours but I have some that are mixed colors. some blue, some rose, some purple..can't find my empty seed pkt. I just have them recorded as Tall double mix batchelor buttons. What are those red flowers that look like daisy? Cherry brandy rudbeckia?

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Red flower is blanket flower or gallairdia. I will be wsing more of it next year.

I never had any issue with rose campion. It was thin last year and never bloomed. Final height last year if I recall correctly was 10 inches. However, I was prepared to expect that it won't be big. Honestly, I was thinking that I will see blooms on 2010 but was shocked to see some in 2009. :)

Some bachelor buttons were wsown and some were direct sown. I didn't do anything this year. The b buttons you see are all volunteers. Yes, there is another mixed version bachelor buttons.

If I were you, I won't dig it since it's starting to get hot and especially you're on z7.

• not_a_contessa
    13 years ago

Ahhhh, the perfect way to start my day, thanks for the eye candy!

Mary

• just1morehosta
    13 years ago

Wow!
    Not only are you a great gardener, you take some dynomite pictures.
    Love, the black and red shot.
    Thanks for sharing these wonderful pictures.
    cAROL

• siichan
    13 years ago

Wow those are GORGEOUS! I agree with Carol, I would hang the black and red pic in my room!

What camera do you use?

• tomva
    13 years ago

In the black and red photo,it looks as though the red blooms are flying,very nice indead..

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone! :)

I'm using a Canon dslr camera.

• homefarmer
    13 years ago

Awesome pics! I have been so focused on my veggies that I have taken any pics of my flowers! My wildflower is growing great! Good job! ***insert pat-on-the-back here***

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'll take pics again in late June or early July! :)

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    13 years ago

Very nice Neil!! Just got home from work and seeing those photos is so refreshing. Great colors!!

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks tiffy! The Inula Goliath is 5.5 ft tall now. The leaves are huge! I'll take a pic of it next time. :)

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    13 years ago

So so so so beautifully fantastic. I'm clipping this post. I'll want to refer to it when I'm feeling kind of ordinary. These pictures remind me what an amazing world I am blessed to live in!

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You should see Ellen's garden in Skokie. I love her garden! Pitimpinai's garden, I love her garden too! :)

I should start working on adding objects to the garden such as pergola, fire bin(not sure how they call it) with bench around it, tiny windmill, bird bath or fountain. I should also work on the garden beds since it's being invaded by the grass and clovers.

Thanks!!! ;)

• pitimpinai
    13 years ago

Wowee! Can I come visit your garden, Ronneil?
    Gorgeous. So many colors, so vibrant.
    Who took care of your garden when you were away?

Gorgeous photos too.
    I need to talk to you re macro photography & Photoshop.
    I have forgotten just about everything I learned in class.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Mone,

Yes you can come. Late August or early September would be best so we can also dig the Chelone. I think this is the time when all plants are taller and more colors too. :)

Nature took care of them. :D However, I need to work on the grass that's invading the garden bed. It's bad. I may need some tips on how I can reduce the grass that's growing in the bed.

You can call me or email me regarding your question about macro photography.

Thanks!

• drippy
    13 years ago

Whistle, whistle, clap, clap - well done!

• sheltieche
    13 years ago

just stunning! beautiful placement, colors- bet your garden gets complimented every day by your neighbors....

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks drippy and lindalana. :)

I will do some work next year on the front bed. The plants are so tightly close together. I also noticed I have tons of yellows and blues. I'm so sad that not one direct sowed yvonne salvia(for red) sprouted. Does Yvonne Salvia like to be ws'd?

For blues, the larkspurs are blooming! For red, the monarda have flower buds. I should introduce more reds.

What plants have red flowers and blooms from early summer til frost?

• bev2009
    13 years ago

My red Maltese cross is blooming now and blooms for quite some time - don't remember if it goes all the way to fall. I WS some this year to increase the bed, but they probably won't bloom this year.

I keep coming back to this post just to enjoy the photos - amazing. Thanks so much.

• gardenerbythelake
    13 years ago

I've been lurking for a few weeks, but your pictures lured me out. The flowers are beautiful, and the pictures are awesome. They should be in a gardening magazine.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    13 years ago

I really like those closeup flower shots, too! (well, actually, I like all of them) Do you need an slr to do that? I have a new Canon digital with a zoom that says it's 10x, but I'm not sure at what point things will be out of focus.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks bev2009, gardenerbythelake and linnea56. I'm so happy with all the post. :D

Regarding your question linnea56, you can use a Point and Shoot digital camera but it won't be as sharp as a real macro lens. I'm using a macro lens that can be attached to a DSLR camera or a video camera. It's called Raynox DCR-250. If this Raynox macro lens can be mounted on a PS digital camera, it should work too.

• missmshell
    13 years ago

One word. JEALOUS!!!!

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    13 years ago

Just gorgeous. Good work on both the garden and photos.

Caryl

• gonativegal
    13 years ago

Neil,

Those photos are so beautiful! It's amazing what you've done in just a couple of years. I'm like P, I want to come and visit both of your gardens.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks missmshell, Caryl and Serena! :)

Red Monarda is in full bloom now. Mone gave it to me last year. She gave me a small plant in spring and now it's doubled. I've even moved 2 or 3 plants to the front.

Salvia black and blue has flowers.

HollyHock is in bloom too. I've have pink and yellow. Soon, the flowers and leaves will be eaten by Japanese Beetles. :(

Echinops Ritro has flower buds. It was wsown lastyear. I know the flower is nice but the leaves are making me think if I should pull it or not. It looks like a weed. It's about 3 ft tall now.

Pink Coneflower and Irish eyes are blooming too.

I've got very few Petunia Laura bush volunteers. :)

Glad I spread Larkspur seeds(Mone shared this tip to me) everywhere last year.

Knautia has flowers but not sure how I got this. It's spreading via seeds. The flower is just ok. Should I dig it?

zinnias, castor beans, lime 4 o'clocks are all still small.

I saw buds from Agastaches. Last year, final height excluding flower was 3 ft. It's more than 4 ft now. How tall do they grow?

• floodthelast
    13 years ago

Hi Neil, your gardens look amazing and so do your pics. The four o clocks you gave me are doing very well though small yet. I'm looking forward to them. Your flowers are wonderful, so much color. You have really done wonderful things with all your beds.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have 4 o'clocks too, some are direct sowed and some were volunteers. My tallest right now is 5 inches, most are 3 inches tall only. I'll have to look at my last year's garden to compare the size.

Thanks for looking! :)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus