Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pippi21

Leftover WS seedlings

pippi21
12 years ago

How many of you still have some Wintersown seedlings that you have not had the chance to plant out or you're waiting for some more growth on them? I think I have only a few, less than 6..some I planted of marigolds and they are up but tiny, not ready to go in the flowerbeds. Temps hit 102 degrees here yesterday. I was only able to work in the flowerbeds for about 2 hrs. Went out this morning and watered the flowerbeds in the front of the house and the mosquitos drove me in. Will get the back flowerbeds later. Yesterday I dug up one Shasta Daisy plant that I had cut back last week. I was able to break the entire plant up to 6 clumps and repotted them into 1 gal. nursery pots, planting 2 clumps into each pot. Will give them away. All along I've been thinking they were "Becky" shastas but when I was digging I found the mini-blind marker and they were "Alaska" variety that I had wintersowning Jan.10, 2010. I found the seed pkt. and it read only 24 inches tall. They Lied! Those got over 36 in. more like 40 inches tall and flopped after a hard rain we had a few weeks ago and never recovered. So I have two more plants to dig up but not enough gal containers.

Comments (17)

• linda_jo
    12 years ago

I have about 100 in plastic cups on my deck. Of course since I moved them to the cups I have to water every day! I am holding them for my daughter while she prepares her beds. If it ever rains again I think I will put them in a holding bed to dig up later. Next year I will choose 20 things I really really want!

Linda

• PVick
    12 years ago

Famous last words, Linda! LOL!

I started WSing really late this year ... only did 12 containers. So far, I've only planted out two - spinach and swiss chard. Plan to get some more done this weekend - ESPECIALLY my tomatoes, even if nothing else gets done.

PV

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

I have LOTS of leftovers, most of which are too small to plant out or pot up--oakleaf hydrangea, lobelia, coral bells, veronica, lady's mantle, St. John's wort & astilbe mostly. A few things are ready to be planted out/potted up but I just haven't had time so I do a few whenever I have the chance and set the gallon pots on a table in the sun where they can grow some more. Once I potted up the blue flax, it shot up like it was rocket-propelled!! It's a foot tall and is already blooming!!

• gardenunusual
    12 years ago

Oh my word, some of my seedlings died in my open containers. I found the tops didn't grow so much, but they had extensive root systems.

I just about planted everything I have room for near the house. Now the ones I don't have to maintain go near the mailbox.

The herbs! I have to make a separate garden for them.

• PVick
    12 years ago

gardenweed, where did you get seed for oakleaf hydrangea? a friend of mine has the plant, but she doesn't know how/when to collect the seed (neither do i), and each time i've tried with what she gave me was a failure ......

PV

• ellenrr
    12 years ago

I have one container left!
    lavender. I planted out about 4 seedlings of them much earlier, and only one survived - I don't know if I planted them out too early, or if it was the weather - cold and rainy, then hot and dry.
    Luckily, I decided to keep the remaining seedlings in the container til they got bigger. After seeming to not grow at all, finally I see they are a little larger and will put them out.

then I'm done - done -done. lol
    doing happy dance.

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

PV, I imagine oak leaf could be started by layering as easily as the regular mop heads.

I just pick an outside stem, strip a few bottom leaves, and bury those in a shallow trench. Leave the top leaves attached and above ground. Within a few months, the buried nodes root, and can be severed and planted as a new plant. Very easy.

Karen

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

I think the heat got my containers. I've got barely any sprouts. I'm going to toss the soil into my beds.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

PV - I got the oakleaf hydrangea seeds in a trade over the winter from a guy in NC. The person I traded with was extremely generous and sent me a couple tablespoons' worth of seeds!! I had high germination from them and could easily grow a hydrangea forest. He also sent me Penstemon smallii/Small's penstemon seeds, another native, but those were much later to germinate and don't appear to be as vigorous. If you'd like some of the hydrangea seeds, I've got plenty left for a generous trade amount or you're welcome to them for SASBE. I hear they're very slow growing but worth the wait.

• pippi21
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Why not do a cutting or is "that hydrangea out of area?"

• PVick
    12 years ago

Karen, I know about the layering technique, but asking my friend to do that for me would turn into an impossibility. It was enough to get her to bring me a seedhead. She's got a beautiful garden - very park-like, ya know? Pippi, she's promised me cuttings, but I haven't gotten any yet.

Gardenweed, I'm going to email you. Thanks! I would not need a lot, especially if they germinate so well.

PV

• PVick
    12 years ago

OOPS! Looks like I can't send you an email, gardenweed.

PV

• dirtbert
    12 years ago

Uh, yeah...I haven't planted out anything yet I don't think. Very little. ooodles of containers to go. Our weather has been weird. 103 two days ago and highs in the 60s yesterday, today and tomorrow. Had to get the veggie garden planted first, now I can concentrate on the flowers.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

PV - I enabled my email and also sent one to you via your member page.

• dawiff
    12 years ago

I still have almost all of my seedlings to plant out. Our weather here in the PNW has been very cold and wet all Spring. Temps over 70 are very rare, and sunshine is even rarer, so almost all my seedlings are still quite small. I am thinking I may grow them on till Fall, and plant a lot of them then.

• clc70
    12 years ago

Here in the Pacific Northwest it's been cold and rainy. The weather has only gotten up into the seventies a couple of times. And alot of rain. So alot of my seedlings have been too small to go out to the garden. I've been doing alot of planting but still have many to go. Some I will pot up and grow in their pots till fall, then plant out when they are bigger.I've still got about 40 milk jugs that hav'ent sprouted. It's been so cold, I put them in my green house with some heat just to get them to sprout.

• terrene
    12 years ago

I'm about 2/3, maybe 3/4 of the way through 100+ containers. Making pretty good progress planting out this year actually, better than previous years for some reason. Could be, the garden beds are catching up with all the WS seedlings. Hopefully I won't add to the pot ghetto this year! But have potted up a few seedlings, such as the Foxgloves (Camelot series, Apricot Beauty, Excelsior hybrids) so that it can grow bigger while I figure out exactly where to plant them. I want to get the colors right.

Also waiting for any more possible sprouting with Columbine Origami. Then those colors will go into planned spots too.

Although it doesn't sound as cold here as the PNW, it has been cool and rainy off and on (yippee, means I can plant and transplant longer). A few sprouts need to grow on a bit more.