Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northforker

Sowing freshly harvested Bleeding Heart Seeds

northforker
11 years ago

Got 'em! For years I have "missed" the harvesting of seeds from my bleeding heart - I got there after the pods had opened and the seeds were "gone" - scattered and unfindable. But this year I have been keeping an eye on one plant that is on my morning stroll with my cup of tea in the garden. Today I bent down and caught a just starting to burst pod. And then another close by. About 10-15 seeds.

Came in and googled. What did we gardeners do before google? Anyway, it appears they need a cold period. Anyone with experience out there? Should I dry them on a plate and WS next January? Or should I place them in some damp promix in the freezer for 6 weeks and sow in the late summer? What has worked for you?

Any/all help appreciated. I really want seedlings from this plant!

Nancy

Comments (7)

• duane456
    11 years ago

here's what tom clothier says---Dicentra cucullaria, eximia, formosa, peregrina, and spectabilis , Sow at 18-22�C (64-71�F) for 2-4 wks, move to -4 to +4�C (24-39�F) for 4-6 wks, move to 5-12�C (41-53�F) for germination , short viable seed - sow immediately after harvest

• pixie_lou
    11 years ago

I asked about this on the seed saving forum. Flora-uk responded and said to sow immediately after harvest.

I also walk my gardens every morning. Though I have a cup of coffee in my hands. I have little tulle bags around my dicentra seed pods. I keep looking every morning to see if the pods have popped. I bought the dicentra valentine this year and it has gorgeous seed pods on it. I also have a white bleeding heart and a regular pink bleeding heart that I am attempting to collect seeds from.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed saving forum response

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    11 years ago

Nancy, I think sowing by early fall at latest is recommended, they are said to not do well dried and stored.

What I do: keep a prepared pot, labeled, on my deck and when I find seeds of spectabilis or climbing scandens, I walk back to my deck with them in my hand and sow them. I sow in little rows like a tiny corn field so I know where I've left off - Heaven help the person who ever turns my pot. :)

That's the only way I've ever achieved germination with the climbing bleeding heart. Seedlings from both don't usually appear until late winter in my cool Z8.

• northforker
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone. I will sow them in a pot tomorrow but not expect to see seedlings till next Spring. I am going to put a piece of nylon stocking over the rest of the seed pods and see if I an get some more to increase my chances of actually getting seedlings.

Should I use a milk jug? Or just an open (no top) pot?

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    11 years ago

Nan, our climates are different, very little summer heat here, but I use a regular pot and top with grit when I've sown all I'm going to add. I keep in the same area of my deck with pots holding plants so it never goes many days without watering, its easier for me to water same time I'm taking care of the other things that way...Your set up may be different.

• northerner_on
    11 years ago

I have several bleeding hearts of different varieties and colours. This year for the first time, I have pulled dozens of seedlings so perhaps sowing right after ripening is the best method. I think I have not seen them before because that part of the garden has been overgrown with Hostas which I divided this year. Now I can see the earth.

• daisydawnny
    11 years ago

I must have gotten lucky. I harvested 5 seeds from my White Bleeding Heart , sowed them on solstice and all 5 sprouted and are growing well.

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider